Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spot the problem with this TB20 for sale

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Previous damage to an aircraft is not a reason to not buy it………….. it’s just a reason to take a very close look at the way the repairs have been carried out.

Has a non-deiced prop, with a nacelle with access to the TKS reservoir. New upper nacelle or saving on installing deiced prop?

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Hours SMOH now means “hours since magneto overhaul….”

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Peter wrote:

it had a gear up landing.

When?

Prop 2 hours since “timed” overhaul would mean to me that it was done with calendar time?
What happened to the engine? Shock load done?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

In full disclosure I tried to buy this privately off the owner, before he brokered it but we didn’t reach a number we could both live with. In fairness it’s probably an excellent aeroplane. I’ve only looked at it once but it seemed in excellent condition.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

William got it… looks like a new prop but the engine shock load was not done. So unless the description was written by a complete numpty and the owner never read it, this plane cannot move except on a trailer.

It beggars belief that any mechanic would have gone along with a stunt like that, today. However, I was offered such an option in 2002 after a prop strike (file about 2cm off each blade tip and forget about it) by a JAA145 company but declined since the plane was brand new and I knew nothing about this stuff back then.

The other thing to check is the crankshaft AD has been complied with. 1997 is roughly where the trouble started. If the engine shock load is done by anyone but a complete cowboy, they would have checked that. This is a big gotcha because if the crank needs changing, both a shock load inspection and an overhaul are uneconomic and a new/remanufactured engine from Lyco is the only way. A number of TB20 owners have found this out, after negligent “maintenance management” by their maintenance company. One case, where I admire the poster for his bravery for posting it, is here.

Administrator

2 hours since ‘timed’ Mag overhaul

My initial assumption on seeing this is that it was entered by a non-aviator admin person and should actually read “Major” overhaul…it was probably scribbled down on a piece of paper as “Maj” and misread…. I mean, why would you make the Mag overhaul a headline?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

AnthonyQ wrote:

My initial assumption on seeing this is that it was entered by a non-aviator admin person and should actually read “Major” overhaul…it was probably scribbled down on a piece of paper as “Maj” and misread…. I mean, why would you make the Mag overhaul a headline?

That is a broker, if he is that inept then maybe…

What is a no-no however in any of these adds is not to mention the gear up and the corrective action taken. Latest when a buyer will inspect the logs he will find it and then I would not like to be in the shoes of the broker to answer why he has not mentioned it.

Not sure about a lot of things here. But I think if the shock loading inspection really was not done, Peter is right to say that this plane can’t go anywhere.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

why would you make the Mag overhaul a headline?

A shock load job includes an OH of the mag(s) and the governor.

If the engine really was done then one has to wonder what else is misdescribed.

In full disclosure I tried to buy this privately off the owner, before he brokered it but we didn’t reach a number we could both live with. In fairness it’s probably an excellent aeroplane. I’ve only looked at it once but it seemed in excellent condition.

William, did you establish the engine status when you offered to buy it? Your post #4 suggests that (perhaps jokingly) it wasn’t shock load inspected

I wonder what sort of offer would be suitable in that case? 40k? A factory reman engine is about 40k I think.

Administrator
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message