Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Squawk 2000 for uncontrolled IFR flights in the UK

So far, used to be 7000 for both VFR and IFR (whereas, in other countries, 7000 is really a VFR-only squawk), but now now the UK follows suit.

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/misc/AIC/EG_Circ_2019_Y_128_en.pdf local copy

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Oops. Been doing that for a while.

EGTK Oxford

My read of the AIC is that if one flies unto UK airspace on an assigned code, VFR or IFR, then one keeps that code until otherwise instructed by ATC.

This has also been my experience and practice on the continent. Normally, if VFR, one will receive an instruction to squawk VFR or 7000 before crossing the airspace boundary, but if IFR no such instruction is received and the assigned code is retained.

Last Edited by chflyer at 24 Oct 22:51
LSZK, Switzerland

As I understand it: set 2000 if flying IFR inbound or inside UK and you have/had no current/previous ATS transponder settings, the requirement 2.2.1-e-iii) to reset to 2000 when parked/tow before switch OFF/STBY is a bit odd?

Seems to me like another “squawk code to be flittered” out of ATS algorithms

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Oct 23:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Interesting. Never heard of this before. It is from Feb 2020

In the UK, Class G, there is no difference between VFR and IFR, in terms of privileges, ATC services, etc.

In CAS you always get a code assigned.

And as pointed out previously, you stay with an assigned code until advised.

So I wonder what the “plan” is?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t really understand when this would apply. When does one not have a transponder code when flying IFR?
It comes with the start clearance, so you normally get it before you have moved a wheel.
On a Zulu departure, you are VFR until you switch IFR (by definition), and I have always either kept the specific (non 7000) VFR code or got a fresh new one.
Unless ATS now will start giving start clearances without a transponder code. The very few cases it has happened to me, SOP has been to request it explicitly before taxi, and I have always received it either on the spot or latest before take-off. Maybe towers want to offload this task to area controllers (when there is no specific ground or clearance delivery frequency), for some sort of workload balancing?

ESMK, Sweden

It has always been there as a question on conspicuity codes in both IR (ICAO) and CBIR theory exams but as @Arne says I have never had call to use it.

France

Unless you are in controlled airspace, an IFR flight is not very different from a VFR flight, with the only difference being that of course you don’t have to remain VMC (that is what VFR means), but have to fly 1000ft above the highest obstacle within 8km while en-route instead (which is what IFR means)

In the UK, a pilot holding an IR can take off from a grass strip, fly outside controlled airspace to some other grass strip IFR without flight plan, clearances or anything. They would be encouraged to use a radar (“traffic”) service – if available – on that route, but it is not mandatory. You don’t even need a tansponder.

Only when you receive an ATC service, a transpoder code will be assigned.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 25 Oct 07:14
Biggin Hill

I think “the plan” is to encourage the PIC to decide if they’re VFR or IFR and stick with it. As mentioned, when outside CAS in the UK it is merely a state of mind but the risk is that you flip flop between VFR and IFR along the way and I can see that having to change the change the squawk encourages you to stick to one or the other.

EGTR

Cobalt wrote:

In the UK, a pilot holding an IR can take off from a grass strip, fly outside controlled airspace to some other grass strip IFR without flight plan, clearances or anything.

I did not know that was possible (anywhere). Hence my post above.

ESMK, Sweden
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message