Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR20 gets a 4-cylinder Lyco IO390

here

I wonder why the break from Conti?

The SR20 volumes must be very low so maybe this is a low-risk way of saying to Conti that they should not take the Cirrus business for granted. There is also a bit more power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s funny, because ever since the year 2000, I thought “an SR20 with a 200-hp Lyco IO-360 would in many ways make a terrific airplane, with a little less cost, a little less weight, a little more payload, a little better takeoff performance and climb, a little less fuel burn and a little more range”. Think a modern M20J.

The Conti IO-360 always seemed a little inadequate for the aircraft.

Looks like they waited for the 215-hp IO-390 to be out to do this. In fact, the 200-hp SR20 was underpowered to start with (and like all airframes, the SR20 became heavier every year).

That said, on the other side, I cringe a bit at the thought of buying a 450,000$ touring aircraft and then having a rambling four-banger up in the front…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jan 16:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Don’t the Chinese own both Cirrus and Continrntal engines? If so, my guess is that this indicates that they want to shut down production of smaller Continentals entirely. Lyconings are more practical for the buyer in the 200 HP classand maybe they imagine long term that Thiielerts will become popular.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Jan 15:58

Silvaire wrote:

Don’t the Chinese own both Cirrus and Continrntal engines

They do, but not within the same company, although both ultimately report to AVIC.

Peter wrote:

I wonder why the break from Conti?

More power with less weight = greater useful load

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Most of all the Lycoming 360 series is probably GA’s most reliable piston engine. That, and the higher payload, easily make up for the lack of two cylinders.

It’s no 360. It’s “expanded” by 20%. 20% more power. This should also mean 20% larger vibrations, 20% more noise. 20% less reliability??

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Most of all the Lycoming 360 series is probably GA’s most reliable piston engine

On this measure the six banger Conti 0-300D might still hold the record for light pistons?

…here is a better short video on the flight

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 09 Jan 17:16
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

A boxer engine has fully balanced primary and secondary vibrations (i.e the opposing the pistons balance each other well) so I think the main source of vibration in a four cylinder boxer is torque ripple, which is higher with larger and fewer cylinders.

I haven’t heard of any reliability issues with the 390 engine – people have been using them on RVs etc.

I remain surprised the Chinese stopped using their own engines in favor of a competitive Lycoming. I think that leaves the Continental IO-360 as the OEM engine for only a few low volume Pipers and nothing else in current production.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Jan 17:16

Probably a little kick at TCM to get their sh*t together.
With the added take-off performance and useful load, it would be more than just a trainer, it becomes a quite decent travel plane. I agree with Bosco, a modern take on the M20J. Still no UL fuels though.

ESMK, Sweden
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message