Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Standby Alternator / Electric Boost Pump overhaul opportunities this side of the Atlantic?

The electrical boost pump in our SR20 needs overhauling (Dukes 5217-00-1), is there anywhere this side of the Atlantic which can overhaul it relatively cheaply? If I look at overhauled parts on offer from, say, Aircraft Spruce, I see ridiculous prices in the range of €1300 – 1700; I say ridiculous because I can theoretically send the pump to Aeromotors LLC in Winsconsin for $510 plus DHL express @2 x 90€ and have it overhauled there – maybe someone here knows a better option?

The same applies to the BC410-1 standby alternator, that needs repairing. Airworlduk.com would have been my prime choice but a) they are going out of business → guarantee issues and b) they don’t know if they have one on stock (were stock keeping). Anybody out there know of anyone who can IRAN this alternator or am I just going to have to send it to B and C Aero in the states and accept the 150€ freight costs per way?

Or how would you send parts quickly but cost effectively to and from the US?

EDL*, Germany

A possible firm http://www.arrowaviation.co.uk know they exist but never used them.

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom

A lot depends on whether your maintenance company insists on “paperwork”, 8103-3, EASA-1, etc.

I get lots of emails like this from other owners and this is always the sticking point. For example I have a stock of the exact original TB flap and avionics relays and have had some people buy some and then even though I said there is no paperwork they were shocked when their maintenance company refused to touch them. An FAA A&P has the authority to examine an declare a part airworthy (usually there is no need for an 8130-3) but this rarely works in a European company scenario.

Re the fuel pump, it depends on whether the pump is duff or the motor is duff. If the latter, any competent motor repair company can repair it, including creating a new commutator and sourcing suitable brushes for it. I have used Trafford Rewinds in Manchester, UK, for various jobs, and they always did it OK. Most jobs start at a couple of hundred quid though and that’s for the simple ones – which is why most standard pattern industrial motors are chucked away (they are mostly chinese anyway).

For a complete overhaul, I might start by looking for who can overhaul a Weldon B8120H which is the 28V TB type. Two companies come up
http://aircraftaccessoriesofok.com/
http://www.qaa.com/
both in Oklahoma. These can supply an 8130-3 or maybe even an 8130-3 with an EASA approval number (equivalent to EASA-1).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or how would you send parts quickly but cost effectively to and from the US?

We use UPS for door to door service to and from the US, as they tend not to subcontract collection and delivery.

Enclose a copy of your airworthiness certificate if you wish to claim the relevant EU tariff suspension for civil aircraft parts – see Council Regulation (EC) No 1147/2002.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Below 2kg, registered airmail (currently, courtesy of the Royal Mail corporate BS generator, called “international track and trace”) is about 15 quid. Every country has an equivalent, but the 2kg limit is almost universal. 5 days to the USA.

Above 2kg you can use a crappy service called Air Parcel (Parcelforce) which is a joke, and is not that cheap. This service is also in every country.

Otherwise, you have to use a courier.

At work we use only DHL, unless a customer specifies. The others are poor in the countryside, for collecting from our office. But that’s probably a local thing. DHL is not the cheapest but is the most reliable.

I find that correctly calling it “aircraft parts” avoids the import duty automatically.

For some countries, a courier is the only way because the locals will steal it otherwise. Egypt is one of these.

One problem is that very few US firms can use airmail for packets of any sort. They can only throw stuff onto a pile labelled Fedex etc. I have to give detailed instructions, including saying that they have to use their post office. It seems to be a cultural thing; their couriers are cheap for intra-US stuff (e.g. Fedex do some $5-$10 flat rate ground service) and it saves going to the post office. It’s a disease which is spreading over here too.

Administrator

Steve,

as always in Cirrus matters, you ought to contact Cirrus Sales and Service / General Enterprises in Eelde. At least the will know where to point you to to get the best quality and price. Anyway, aviation is indeed expensive.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Steve,

as always in Cirrus matters, you ought to contact Cirrus Sales and Service / General Enterprises in Eelde. At least the will know where to point you to to get the best quality and price. Anyway, aviation is indeed expensive.

Yes I am aware of that little fact, that aviation is expensive, but why can (e.g.) Aeromotors LLC offer an overhaul for $510 whereas GAA / Aircraftspruce want at least $1800 for an overhauled part? The variation can’t really be explained by paperwork because Aeromotors LLC offer the necessary forms. For me, it’s like going to a tyre store and asking for quotes for a tyre of a given brand and size, 4 or 5 quote prices which are astronomical whereas one quotes a reasonable price and you automatically think: What is wrong here? It’s only when you realise the other companies are screwing you over that you understand that yes, aviation is expensive but not because it’s intrinsically expensive per se but because of a number of greed merchants creaming off excessive profits……

EDL*, Germany

Steve- Check with Torben at AirService Norway. They are a certified Cirrus Service Center and he is a very helpful guy (mention that I sent you; Henrik).

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

why can (e.g.) Aeromotors LLC offer an overhaul for $510 whereas GAA / Aircraftspruce want at least $1800 for an overhauled part?

It may not be the same part, or it could be that many people buy from Spruce as a default and don’t check prices elsewhere?

There has been a long standing issue with Spruce in that they would not, as standard, include an 8130-3, and charged a lot extra for it. From vague memory, $100. Not sure if that’s changed. A lot of people in the UK bought stuff from them only to find their maint company would not touch the part.

Administrator

Steve6443 wrote:

Yes I am aware of that little fact, that aviation is expensive, but why can (e.g.) Aeromotors LLC offer an overhaul for $510 whereas GAA / Aircraftspruce want at least $1800 for an overhauled part?

Quote from their website:

Just a few of the items that we have developed approved / accepted Process Specifications and Overhaul/Repair Procedures for are Airborne Fuel Pumps, Dukes Fuel Pumps, BFG De-ice Brush Blocks, Mitsubishi Actuators, Electromech (Beechcraft) Blowers, Advance Industry Blowers, Dynamic Air Blowers etc.

So they developed their own FAA accepted overhaul / repair procedure, and don’t use the procedure of the manufacturer. As such there might be a difference, where with manufacture overhaul procedure. For example, it could be that the manufacturer procedure says to replace the rotor, while their own procedure measures current draw as means to measure performance and reuse the item, instead of replacing. This is an example only, I think the price difference must be found in the different procedures.

Last Edited by Jesse at 20 Nov 08:48
JP-Avionics
EHMZ
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message