Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stolen flight bag ... what to do ?

Hello I have been victim of a burglary. Next to the laptops, iPads, cameras, GPS, they have token my complete flight bag with all in it (logbook, headset, Belgian license, FAA license, medical, radio, fuel card, radio licenses ….well you get the point) :-(

Has anyone some experience with this (just to make sure I do not miss something next to the obvious – reporting serial of radio, blocking the fuel card) or experience in replacing the stolen documents.

Any tips or suggestions is more than welcome.

Ps; Especially help with the licenses/medical & logbook part is welcome.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Sorry to hear that. Suggestions:
FAA certificate- there should be a form on website
Medical- contact your AME
Belgian licence- website
FAA radio operator’s license- use the spare (large) one for now
Logbook- that’s a bummer, re-create from airplane journey logs?

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 May 07:48
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

It’s good to keep a copy logbook in electronic form. I use a spreadsheet and keep it in Dropbox in case the computer fails.

And of course report theft to police.

LPFR, Poland

Very sorry to hear!

There are ways to re-establish a logbook to an extent sufficient for legal (i.e. hours required for a license/rating etc) extent, by an examination of CAA/FAA records and (what is called in the UK) swearing an affidavit.

I recall one ex CAA guy telling me that somebody, years ago, got a whole fresh ATPL on the basis of sworn experience

So you should not lose anything actually valuable, beyond the obvious loss of your flying records i.e. sentimental value.

Also the stuff has no value to a thief so why not publish a € offer to the return? Where did it go missing?

I recall hearing, in past cases of this, that the logbooks got chucked out of the car window and were subsequently found. So try the usual channels…

As regards the future, I take photos of all logbooks (personal and aircraft) put the jpegs on a DVD and keep it in a fire safe somewhere. The stuff also lives on a network drive in my toilet Logbooks are not carried around routinely. I would not use Dropbox because they have pulled my account when some link to a 100MB file “got around” to too many people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Getting back your national license and medical should be a matter of two phone calls and about a week of waiting time (can only speak for my country…). About the radiotelephony license I wouldn’t care the least, this is included in your (EASA) license anyway (FAA might be different). I lost my RT license over 20 years ago and was never asked for it in dozens and dozens of ramp checks.

About the logbook: if you have no electronic backup (or photocopies or scans) you really need to go the tedious way of recreating one from aircraft journey logs. Otherwise just print out your electronic version and/or bind your photocopies together and start a new logbook beginning with the sum of your previous flying experience – the same way you would carry those over from one full logbook to the next. Ideally get a qualified person to sign for the numbers you begin that logbook with (instructor, examiner, head of training, …).

Don’t go flying without original licenses! Photocopies or the promise of your CAA that the replacement license is in the mail will not be accepted.

EDDS - Stuttgart

For the logbook I have a scan of most of it and I log all on logbook.aero, so I have all data.
But the question I have. Should I copy all in my logbook ? What about my training ppl flights and endorsements ?
Or should I start a new logbook as from the point I have the scans ?

jfw

@what_next:
Seems my posting crossed yours…

I guess I will follow your suggestion. I a scan of the logbook for the checkout OK ?
I have a scan till 01/01/2016…I miss 8 flights & 12h30 on my scans… and the entry of my flight in NY (bummer).

jfw

Or should I start a new logbook as from the point I have the scans ?

+1

Personally, if I would lose one or more of my logbooks (I am in the middle of number 8 right now) I would not start a new paper logbook. Among my colleagues I am the last one who keeps a paper logbook, all the others have gone the electronic way long ago.

Is a scan of the logbook for the checkout OK ?

Personally, I would think so, but if you really want to be 100 percent covered, get the examiners / instructors who checked you out to sign the scan or photocopy again for you ( and keep it in a safe place thereafter…).

Last Edited by what_next at 20 May 08:57
EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

Logbooks are not carried around routinely.
How can you do without it in case of a ramp check? Endorsements which in many cases are necessary for a legal flight (e.g. for differences training) are only found in the log book.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s a very good point. It has come up before many times, and is an equal problem with electronic logbooks (exists in different contexts for pilot and maintenance logbooks).

The answer seems to be that anybody inspecting your papers on the apron cannot possibly have enough IQ to know about endorsements for BFRs etc.

And a prosecution could not be mounted, because when you get home you will send in the proof.

The issue would be in countries where a policeman can do what he likes, starting with impounding the plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message