Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stranded in Begerac (LFBE)

10 Posts

Hi,

does anybody know of a repair station in (south-western) France, that might be able to provide quick help? We’re stranded here in Bergerac with false altitude encoding to the transponder. I presume it’s only a broken wire, aparently signal B4 reads 0 all the time, but I can’t verify.

Thanks,
Gunter

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

You should ask support from local air club:
http://bergerac-aeroclub.com

LFLY, France

I know of someone near there who flies to some shop at La Rochelle airport for avionics work, and the firm also travels to other locations, but I don’t know any more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I remember correctly, you can switch your transponder into mode A and legally fly home under VFR, just keep away from TMAs.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Switch it off?

EGTR

I have performed IFR in IMC without a transponder, just ask ATC for permission.

Just done my CBIR Air Law and this question came up:

Q. When the transponder appears to be unserviceable prior to departure and repair is not possible, then:

A. Departure to the nearest suitable airport where repair can be made is allowed.

Norman
United Kingdom

Use Mode A

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Thanks, we found an avioniks guy in Royan who’ll try to help us tomorrow. Flying home with mode A would not be a problem, ATC was very helpful on our way to France and I’m sure it would be OK to fly home with mode A even IFR. But actually we want to fly to Morocco, and I’m not so sure about Spanish ATC, let alone Morrocan! Moreover, the A/P doesn’t work reliably, nor does the traffic system, both read the encoded altitude. So either we’ll be lucky tomorrow, or spend Christmas in southwestern France, which is not the worst place to be :-)

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Your AP should still work in PIT (pitch hold) mode, FWIW.

You then have to use CWS, or the + – buttons depending on model, to adjust the altitude, periodically.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message