Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Student pilot having to divert to another airfield during circuit training

MedEwok wrote:

Good point about the checklist, though in that exact situation I didn’t have an appropriate one.

The after takeoff checklist is also used for touch-and-go’s and low approaches. But of course someone needs to teach you that.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I am used to check for “flaps up” after climbing through 400 ft. On that day I performed a go around at 500 ft and completely forgot about an after take off checklist because my mind was busy thinking “how the hell do I get this plane on the ground safely, and where?”

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

On that day I performed a go around at 500 ft and completely forgot about an after take off checklist because my mind was busy thinking “how the hell do I get this plane on the ground safely, and where?”

Again: You are not alone… During my command supervision on a Citation V out of Cannes, my training captain simulated an incapacitation therby letting me do everything on my own. It is a low-level step climb with speed limits and three frequency changes within two minutes – and guess what I forgot to retract Luckily I did not forget to read my after take off checklist later on, otherwise I would have busted the flap limitation speed any moment.

EDDS - Stuttgart

MedEwok wrote:

from our home base Leer-Papenburg (EDWF)

Grüße an Copi!

MedEwok wrote:

Should an FI practice landing at neighbouring airfields with their students first before their first solo, to prepare them for possible diversions?

Yes, and although not written in our syllabus, we developed the standard routine of flying at least once to a neighbouring airfield in any case. It does make good practice not to judge your approach just by the local landmarks, too.

MedEwok wrote:

Is the German system under which you are not allowed to go cross-country solo before passing the radiotelephone test maybe not such a bad idea at all? After all you will be at least somewhat proficient with radio by that time due to preparing for the test. Then again, maybe radio training should start even earlier, too avoid situations like mine?

Well, Germany is aligning with other countries now. The RT theory is done with the theoretical knowledge test and the practical RT exam during the practical skill test. Besides having the complete theoretical knowledge test, your flight school can make an internal test to confirm the “theoretische Streckenflugreife” and with the new RT regulations/practices, in my view you wouldn’t need the RT test then. But you can look that up in the OMM of your flight school. We do use these tests occasionally, although usually many students are quick to do their theoretical skill test.

MedEwok wrote:

During downwind at EDWE I noticed that I had flown there with full flaps deployed all the time. Ouch…that was why I was so slow to get there

Happens. I guess won’t happen again in the nearer future :-)

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Going solo w/o having gone to 1 or 2 other airfields is crazy.

You only need anything blocking the runway and you are in an untrained situation. A collapsed landing gear is enough for more time than you might have fuel for…)
You (OP) did well and all of us will all meet time and again new situations, but that is unnecessary at this stage of hour training.
I would consider this a badly designed training schedule, just personal opinion.

I would certainly not have been sent off solo w/o a few successful dual flights to neighboring fields (in my case mainly EDMA) at my school. And I find this a good idea. ;-)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 12 Feb 08:51
EDM_, Germany

I went solo, twice at 2 different schools (complicated explanation, to do with crap planes / disorganised schools) and all without landing elsewhere.

Normal procedure in the UK, in those days anyway. There is no business mandate to produce pilots. The business is self fly hire, preferably with an FI in the RHS

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You did a few very important things there:
- stay calm (keep flying the plane)
- ask for help

- Aviate – Navigate – Communicate

Did you ask whether this kind of weather development is a typical thing for that location? If so you should’ve been briefed on it…

@ch.ess: I did fly to two other airfields with my FI before the incident. Sorry for not making this clear in the original post. We just never flew to the nearest one.

@Archie: The weather was highly atypical. My instructor said he never saw anything like this happen in 40 years.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Normal procedure in the UK, in those days anyway. There is no business mandate to produce pilots. The business is self fly hire, preferably with an FI in the RHS

Peter you do seem to have had a terrible experience when training. There are quite a few UK FIs on the forum, and am surprised you damn the whole UK training scene in this way. Although I take ‘in those days anyway’ as a modifier.

I hope all FIs are aiming to produce pilots, and am glad that many of my students are now in the airlines, some on the way to achieving command in their twenties.

When I look at my peers: ex RAF, ex Training Captains, ex Display Pilots, ex Empire Test Pilot School etc, I do think the UK training scene has some excellent instructors who are there to ensure pilots receive professional training. The business is Darwinian, if the schools are not producing to standard they go by the wayside, either through word of mouth, or regulatory intervention.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Peter you do seem to have had a terrible experience when training.

I have recently witnessed first hand the state of the nation. Pretty dreadful. No names, but I was undergoing FI instruction, and my trainers spectacularly cocked it up. That, coupled with dire aeroplanes, had to go through three at a club, before I could find one fit to fly, is frankly shocking.

In my own neighbourhood, the landscape is pretty dreadful, with clubs snapping at each other to survive, pinching each others instructors, and the poor sod, attempting to get trained amidst all of this, is left wondering why he ever bothered. A recent thread, on another well known forum, exhibited an appalling state of knowledge, by supposed trained PPL pilots, as to how their aircraft operate. Nope, we are close to the bottom, and the only way is up……I think.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message