Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

For moving between types, or indeed between clubs, the usual “club checkout” applies.

Biggin Hill

Is there a „grandfather“ rule for pre easa?
I did my training pre EASA on C152 → Basic
DA40 → Single Power Lever/Fadec
DA42 → Retractable Gear, Glass Cockpit
SR20 → ?
Could I even legally fly a SR22T, Turbo Arrow RG, Aquila210?

I guess to be safe legally I‘d need to get a FI to sign me off in everything?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Could I even legally fly a SR22T, Turbo Arrow RG, Aquila210?

I think you still need the T bit? which you may do simply by a ground briefing and sign-off really….

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The DA40/42 is also Turbocharged…

AMC FCL 710 local copy
„Difference training in accordance with FCL.710 does not require approval by the Authority.“ → whatever that means…

I am aware that the majority of people moving „up“ from a DA20 to a DA40NG (at a location I know) only do a short flight with the (non FI) owner before they are allowed to rent the plane…no FI logbook signoff. The FI himself couldn’t provide a logbook signof for himself as well. So what’s the point?!
The same goes for chartering a Turbo Arrow RG.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 26 Nov 23:57
always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, the T diff training is odd, the constant speed prop as well (single lever vs separate lever)

Do you need a carburator diff training if you learned to fly on turbo/injected? Some will say the same as doing a tricycle conversion from tailwheel…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Moving between any line in the red area requires differences training.
Moving between any line in the blue area requires differences training.
Moving between any MEP requires differences training.
Moving between aircraft individuals in the same line (SEP), requires familiarization training.

Familiarization training can be completed by the pilot himself, e.g. by reading the POH.

Differences training requires training with an instructor, and possibly an instructor signoff in the logbook as proof. Reference: “It remains the instructor’s responsibility to create a training programme, which is suitable for the particular pilot’s experience, qualifications and the equipment to be used.” (AMC1 FCL.710). It is therefore not enough for a flight with the owner aka @Snoopy style.

Source here. [ local copy ]

Last Edited by Dimme at 27 Nov 09:28
ESME, ESMS

…and it is worth noting that, in its supreme silliness, these rules means that nothing you do in a twin carries across to a single.

Biggin Hill

Dimme wrote:

It remains the instructor’s responsibility to create a training programme, which is suitable for the particular pilot’s experience, qualifications and the equipment to be used.” (AMC1 FCL.710)

I can’t find the sentence…can you please point me to where it is.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Snoopy

Page 3, “(3) Electronic Flight Instrument Systems (EFIS)”, second paragraph, third sentence, in the document you referenced here.

ESME, ESMS

Cobalt wrote:

…and it is worth noting that, in its supreme silliness, these rules means that nothing you do in a twin carries across to a single.

True, I’m checked out in a Beech Duchess with retractable undercarriage and variable pitch propellers but I’m not allowed to use any of that in a SEP.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message