Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

A further regulation would probably make things worse. E.g. for MEP the differences training is only valid a year I believe.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

A further regulation would probably make things worse

As mentioned, that is what some people think. Several detailed arguments for the opposite view is found above.

Snoopy wrote:

or MEP the differences training is only valid a year

Not all rules for difference trainings are sensible, but that is hardly an argument for not defining difference trainings at all.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Czech CAA made some interpretation and have it included in their document covering licences and ratings (page 24 of CAA-ZLP-163). They clearly says differences training is between types included in class rating while introductory training is between versions of given type in given rating. They clearly says introductory training might not be on the aircraft while differences training is “scope as requested on aircraft”. I believe scope might be interpreted “0”. And actually, this is what EASA FCL says – you can “move between types in the given box”. So as long as I have RU/VP/TW I can fly any aircraft with RU/VP/TW – but I admit is a stretch, it doesn´t hurt to have at least a single flight with someone having flow it before.

on if FI needs to training – I can´t imagine having right to sign VP just because you are FI or CRI. You are able to get you FI or CRI without even flying VP aircraft. Unlikely but possible. on the same note – how many of FI/CRI here have TW ? ;-)

LKKU, LKTB

Michal wrote:

They clearly says differences training is between types included in class rating

If it says that for the single engine class, this is utterly wrong.

Biggin Hill

I am an FI and have TailWheel. :)

I think the difference training for at least the SEP part is quite clear. MEP not so much perhaps.

ESSZ, Sweden

I am an FI and have TailWheel; however, I do not consider myself current to give tailwheel training on SEP aircraft. I fly Grob 109 with a tailwheel and I am frequently giving class rating instruction on that, but that is not an SEP but a TMG and so a different matter, both formally and practically.
Tailwheel training is arguably the most demanding difference training to give. It requires very good stick- and rudder skills, very quick reactions, and in several common TW types the ability to quickly take over a misjudged landing without seeing neither all the instruments nor very much of the outside at all.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I am told by an instructor that you can do a PPL in say a C150 and then legally fly a TB20. And only the insurer might ask for something else.

Is that true? Sounds fairly new

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am told by an instructor that you can do a PPL in say a C150 and then legally fly a TB20. And only the insurer might ask for something else.

Is that true? Sounds fairly new

No.
FCL.710.
Differences training for VP, RG (and if equipped: EFIS) required.

The scope of the differences training is not defined. It’s up to the instructor.

Logbook entry similar to
„Differences Training acc. EASA FCL 710…. for VP, RG, performed. FI/CRI, Name, License Nr., Signature“
recommended.

Moving from C150 to C152 would require only a familiarization by the pilot himself.
The same applies when moving from a TB20 to a P28R.

Exception: If the license or rating has been attained using the same variant (eg PPL training on a TB20) then no differences training is required for those properties the plane had (VP, RG).

Last Edited by Snoopy at 21 Dec 09:46
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

I am told by an instructor that you can do a PPL in say a C150 and then legally fly a TB20

Now that we are back to ANO & LASORS, he also need “+140IAS difference training sign-off” for his SSEA rating in addition to the FCL ones (e.g. VP, RG, T…)

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Dec 10:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Now that we are back to ANO & LASORS

Hu? Didn’t the UK of GB & NI include all EU legislation into national legislation by the Brexit act? So including Part-FCL? Did it specifically abolish Part-FCL?

ELLX
Sign in to add your message