Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

What would be the situation if I say went an rented something in FAA-Land, and it had retractable... would I be legal to fly it on a JAA ticket without endorsement?

Assuming you were flying a rented N-registered aircraft with an FAA pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license, the foreign license would need to be valid for the aircraft. So I think the answer is no, you'd need the endorsement. Others may know in more detail.

Italianjon - I hope you are able to fly despite the snow! I'll be in Germany for the Christmas holiday and I am packing warm clothes :-)

@Silvaire, if the snow continues like it did today then bring everything... it was so thickly falling I could not see 200 meters accross the courtyard which is outside the office window... oh and yeah, when I flew at the weekend in "CAVOK above 50ft, but bollocks-ed below that" it was about -6C... I love pretty much everything about Germany, except the cold during winter!!!

EDHS, Germany

Assuming you were flying a rented N-registered aircraft with an FAA pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license, the foreign license would need to be valid for the aircraft.

I agree, but those who like to poke a sleeping dog might ask whether one can fly an N-reg PA46 on a JAR-FCL PPL or CPL without a PA46 Type Rating (a TR is required under JAR-FCL for a PA46), when no TR is required for a PA46 in FAA-land...

(I happen to think it would be illegal)

Also, to comply with FAR 61.3 you have to restrict your flying to the airspace of the country which issued the license. So if you are flying an N-reg plane on a German-issued PPL, you can fly it only in German airspace. References.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

whether one can fly an N-reg PA46 on a JAR-FCL PPL or CPL without a PA46 Type Rating (a TR is required under JAR-FCL for a PA46), when no TR is required for a PA46 in FAA-land...

But in that case if you were flying it with FAA Papers, you would be fine, but if you were flying it with EASA/JAR/Europe/Gaga-land papers then you'd be in trouble surely?

I think the question is what happens if you have both papers, because if you were ramp checked for example in a PA-46 in Euroland, could you show the FAA Papers legally, if you hold Euro Papers?

EDHS, Germany

I think the question is what happens if you have both papers, because if you were ramp checked for example in a PA-46 in Euroland, could you show the FAA Papers legally, if you hold Euro Papers?

Yes, till April 2014, but after that, if the policeman (or whoever) determines that the "operator" of your aircraft is EU based, you will need to show both. Yes, it's a mad world...

Various N-reg PA46 owners in Europe are wondering what to do about this, currently... because the HPA is a fair bit of work.

Administrator

Assuming you were flying a rented N-registered aircraft with an FAA pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license, the foreign license would need to be valid for the aircraft. So I think the answer is no, you'd need the endorsement. Others may know in more detail.

I don't think this is true. It only applies to an explicit restriction.

See this link

EGTK Oxford

That's really interesting!

Never seen this before and, being from the FAA Chief Counsel, that is a pretty good authority. It's very recent, too.

I will update my writeup.

It only applies to an explicit restriction.

It only applies to an explicit restriction which is actually printed on the pilot's license.

So if your JAA license stated that you are not allowed to wear underpants, that would carry through the 61.3 concession, whereas if there was a JAA reg stating that nobody is allowed to wear underpants that would not apply.

However I wonder whether this applies to all cases i.e. not just missing JAA differences training but also a missing TR. I reckon it does, in which case this is highly valuable stuff.

Unfortunately this will all be of reduced relevance after 2014... the strictest interpretation of EASA FCL is that the pilot will need the exact EASA pilot papers which would be required if the aircraft was EASA-reg.

Administrator

I don't think this is true. It only applies to an explicit restriction. See this link

JasonC - that's a very useful and interesting letter for many people, I'm sure. Thank you for the correction!

Unfortunately this will all be of reduced relevance after 2014... the strictest interpretation of EASA FCL is that the pilot will need the exact EASA pilot papers which would be required if the aircraft was EASA-reg.

Reduced relevance within EU territory, but OTOH it means that a pilot flying on an EU-license-based FAA pilot certificate in the US does not have to visit an EASA flight training organisation (which are few and far between) every time he want to fly an unfamiliar type of N-registered puddle jumper. He is seemingly only restricted in the same way as any other FAA certificated pilot.

Italianjon - I'll bring a very warm jacket and my Norverger Pulli ;-)

No complex endorsement is required unless the aircraft has all three of the items listed.>

Are you sure? My understanding is that ANY of these conditions require the endorsement(s). Which I have, as I regularly fly a/c that meet at least two of them.

PS: I know that the phraseology is different, but amounts to same thing.

Are you sure? My understanding is that ANY of these conditions require the endorsement(s). Which I have, as I regularly fly a/c that meet at least two of them.

Yes, I am sure. An aircraft does not meet the FAA threshold for 'complex' unless it has all three (unless its a seaplane). Were it otherwise, you would need a complex endorsement to fly any aircraft with flaps.

The FAA regulation reads as follows. Note the use of the word "and".

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part61-31-FAR.shtm

Note also that it is a one-time endorsement to operate "a complex aircraft", meaning any complex aircraft.

Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller), unless the person has—

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.

Sign in to add your message