Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

My main issue which prompted the initial post was probably less of an issue with regard to training and more one of regulatory and legal nature. I have done most of my MEP flying in BE76s so far. I also have a nice amount of un-logged time flying (right seat) in turbocharged twins. I will have to go through profiency checks and line training with this company no matter what. I wondered simply if I legally required a note somewhere in my logbook saying I had been training to fly this aircraft.

United Kingdom

I wondered simply if I legally required a note somewhere in my logbook saying I had been training to fly this aircraft.

And, has this question been answered in a comprehensive way ? ;-)

Anyway, as you are gong to fly this aircraft commercially, your holy bibles are the operating manuals A and D of the company you fly for. Whatever is described there (differences training, checkride, supervision) is what are you legally required to do.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I wondered simply if I legally required a note somewhere in my logbook saying I had been training to fly this aircraft.

YES. Company procedures or not, you will require the differences training provided by an ATO, FTO or TRTO.

It doesn't really matter if one sort of training is better than another, it's just the way it's written in the EASA regulations. If you're lucky you'll receive training that matters, and if you don't it'll take you through the legal hoops. Check the Box.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Hi all,

G1000 is on my agenda next.

Currently, I’m familiarizing myself with the G1000 through online material (videos, Pilot’s Guide, possibly a simulator).

As far as I understand, there is no formal differences training required to transition to glass cockpits (in contrast to transitioning to variable pitch props and the like). However, it seems sensible to get some training. I want to limit the amount I have to pay for training, which is why I’m trying to learn as much as I can before approaching the flight school.

In your experience, what’s the best way to get proficient with the G1000 or any glass cockpit for that matter (Avidyne’s next)? If I’ve sucessfully learned the basics during self-study, how much ground instruction should I expect? How many practical hours? All VFR only.

Thanks

Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

As far as I understand, there is no formal differences training required to transition to glass cockpits (in contrast to transitioning to variable pitch props and the like). However, it seems sensible to get some training.

You are wrong. It is required by EASA-FCL.

I want to limit the amount I have to pay for training, which is why I’m trying to learn as much as I can before approaching the flight school.

Don’t worry. Most schools will require at least an hour’s checkout. Many even require a short ground school course and several hours of flight. (They like to sell “courses” because that creates revenue).

So don’t worry too much about advance-studying.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Feb 15:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As far as I understand, there is no formal differences training required to transition to glass cockpits (in contrast to transitioning to variable pitch props and the like).

Just as bos wrote, you need what’s called EFIS which needs differences training like VP, Turbo etc.

your experience, what’s the best way to get proficient with the G1000 or any glass cockpit for that matter (Avidyne’s next)? If I’ve sucessfully learned the basics during self-study, how much ground instruction should I expect? How many practical hours? All VFR only.

For VFR I did a 1 hour check out and an evening ground school (3-4 hours). For basic VFR locally then you learn it an instance, the next step is the flight planning etc. I also fly the with the GFC700 autopilot which needed some training getting used to (what the heck is the AP doing now.. )

I know somebody who got an Aspen and didn’t have the EFIS endorsement. He went for a short flight with a CFI and got the EFIS endorsement. The CFI had never seen an Aspen before and generally never flies behind a glass cockpit. Still he can endorse others for EFIS

Differences training involves flight and ground instruction. The UK has a suggested training syllabus in CAP 804

There are some rather grey areas. The instructor must have the EFIS endorsement and familiarity with the particular equipment.
I have a non-certified GRT EFIS and , as far as I know, there are no instructors available with experience of that type. So I would have to train the instructor on my equipment so that they could give me an endorsement!

It was introduced in 2010 (see" P070/2010":https://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAA_CAP%20804.pdf here). Fortunately, I qualify for the exemption for experience prior to Sept 2010.
The endorsement can be ‘VFR only’ which reduces the scope of the training to understanding the PFD and how to switch screens, control autopilot etc.

It is rather odd that my hundreds of hours flying with the EFIS in the US including instrument approaches etc. counts for nothing when the aircraft changes from N to G reg. If you have an FAA certificate, you could argue that you can fly G reg etc under the privileges of that licence which has no EFIS endorsement requirement.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Thanks all for the replies. So there is formal differences training required.

Despite the links to CAP 804 provided, I cannot find any regulations. I’d like to review them because my local flight school (in Germany) can only confidently talk about what’s required for a German-issued license, but I’m holding a UK-CAA-issued EASA PPL with a SEP Land rating.

What part of the linked CAP 804 would I need to look at? I skimmed through the text and searched for keywords but somehow I’m lacking the creativity to apply the right keywords…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Check page 237 of the AMC to Part-FCL. That is the law text on which the national training objectives are based.

Sign in to add your message