Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Piggyback PPL

jfw wrote:

You are will in time… no stress

As long as US shutdown is out of the way, still they will have a 3 months thanksgiving/Christmas/shutdown backlog…

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Jan 18:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks MikeWhiskey. The link was what I was searching for.

BTW I sent the form requested by FAA and got an email back due to the shutdown they’d get back when they open again. If they respond too quickly I might have to do this again due to 6 months validity.

EDMB, Germany

Arun wrote:

And I am not aware how to contact the German authorities concerning the letter of verification step.

No need to contact them. The FAA does that.

Just follow this and you will be fine:

I started the process by going to the FAA website and filling out the form for “Verifying the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification”.
It is Form/AC8060-71 located here (07/2018) https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/AC8060-71.pdf
Here is a sample form filled out (07/2018) https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/sample.jpg

You can select any FSDO but it I suggest getting in contact with a US based flight school that can also take the BFR (flight review) and use the FSDO they recommend. In my case it is Orlando FSDO.
Do not fill in your mailing address in field 4b but use your email/or fax to receive the verification letter electronically.
Print, sign offline, scan together with license and medical and send as pdf via email to fv3 faa gov. No digital signatures accepted.

Once you have received the verification from the FAA (see step 1) you pay 50$ at your flight school and do a flight review with an instructor.

Done.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 22 Jan 21:58
always learning
LO__, Austria

Arun wrote:

due to the shutdown

This could be an issue → major backlog :(
always learning
LO__, Austria

No need to contact them. The FAA does that.

As stated under the link posted by MikeWhiskey, you do need to authorize the LBA to give out your details to the FAA (or have them send the verification letter directly to you).

Same process in France btw., but they actually have an option on their licence management website OCEANE where you tick a box to agree to the release of your details to the FAA. The FAA can then query that site directly with your licence number.

Before they put that in place, their “system” was based on some email box where you had to send your verification request and it would sit there until the lady in charge was not on holidays and it was your turn. They would then use color markings to track the status of the requests and if you needed preferential treatment after four weeks you had to call said lady during the right office hours and she’d sift through her inbox for 20 minutes with the help of her colleague she called into the room – while you’re still on the phone… hardest part was finding out her extension. Good times.

Rwy20 wrote:

As stated under the link posted by MikeWhiskey, you do need to authorize the LBA to give out your details to the FAA (or have them send the verification letter directly to you).

Just call LBA L4 and mail them a power of attorney.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@snoopy the link to the page, and subsequently to the form required by LBA, basically IS the ‘power of attorney’. So, if you want your German licence to be confirmed to the FAA you better proceed accordingly….

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

I did it last summer and it took 2 days. Good service by LBA.

always learning
LO__, Austria

It appears that FAA moved quickly after the shutdown ended. I got the verification letter yesterday in the email. However, there is a section on the top that I haven’t heard about. Could someone enlighten me? BTW, my medical is valid until March 2020.

EDMB, Germany

Is your license and medical from the same authority?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message