Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Piggyback PPL

Have you checked with a US school or an FAA DPE? They will know the process upside down and probably happy to use your medical, but from the wording of the letter clearly hints you will need an FAA medical for your initial issue…

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Feb 21:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

German authorities have stopped verifying medical certificates some years ago. This means that you need to get an FAA medical once for the validation process. After that, the EASA paper is sufficient again until you need a new verification letter, e.g. when adding an IR to your FAA license.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Snoopy wrote:

Is your license and medical from the same authority?

It was also issued in Germany if that is what you mean.

EDMB, Germany

Is your license and medical from the same authority?

always learning
LO__, Austria

It appears that FAA moved quickly after the shutdown ended. I got the verification letter yesterday in the email. However, there is a section on the top that I haven’t heard about. Could someone enlighten me? BTW, my medical is valid until March 2020.

EDMB, Germany

I did it last summer and it took 2 days. Good service by LBA.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@snoopy the link to the page, and subsequently to the form required by LBA, basically IS the ‘power of attorney’. So, if you want your German licence to be confirmed to the FAA you better proceed accordingly….

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Rwy20 wrote:

As stated under the link posted by MikeWhiskey, you do need to authorize the LBA to give out your details to the FAA (or have them send the verification letter directly to you).

Just call LBA L4 and mail them a power of attorney.

always learning
LO__, Austria

No need to contact them. The FAA does that.

As stated under the link posted by MikeWhiskey, you do need to authorize the LBA to give out your details to the FAA (or have them send the verification letter directly to you).

Same process in France btw., but they actually have an option on their licence management website OCEANE where you tick a box to agree to the release of your details to the FAA. The FAA can then query that site directly with your licence number.

Before they put that in place, their “system” was based on some email box where you had to send your verification request and it would sit there until the lady in charge was not on holidays and it was your turn. They would then use color markings to track the status of the requests and if you needed preferential treatment after four weeks you had to call said lady during the right office hours and she’d sift through her inbox for 20 minutes with the help of her colleague she called into the room – while you’re still on the phone… hardest part was finding out her extension. Good times.

Arun wrote:

due to the shutdown

This could be an issue → major backlog :(
always learning
LO__, Austria
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message