Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA or FAA CPL cross country flight - all legs must be on same day?

I very much doubt that. What are you going to put into the date field ?

No idea, but one US ATP guy told me that is / used to be normal.

Most US CPL candidates do that flight deliberately though.

Sure, because most CPL candidates don’t fly GA with a purpose (that statement is a lot less true in the US)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

the US CPL needs 300nm with 3 stops which almost nobody will do in one day unless deliberately trying to create logbook entries

Why not? That’s a flight with two fuel (or defuel ) stops. I’ve done that a few times and one of them (incidentally flown in Europe!) was my qualifying flight for the CPL, the others where just shy of the requirement that one of the legs must be more than 250NM in a straight distance from the starting point.

Peter wrote:

with an overnight in EDDM would make a legitimate logbook entry as a single line with those 3 airports.

I very much doubt that. What are you going to put into the date field ?

Most US CPL candidates do that flight deliberately though. Typically as a round-robin, e.g. KSMO – KRHV – KVIS – KSMO

Let’s go back to basics.

Flying regs are mostly based on US regs. Europe lifted US regs largely word for word, often not even renumbering the sections.

And in the US there is a loose concept of a “flight” being what we here call a “trip”. So a pilot in the US system flying say EGKA-EDDM-LDDU (well I need to think of three US codes ) with an overnight in EDDM would make a legitimate logbook entry as a single line with those 3 airports.

The examiner (FAA one, or a DPE) would look at that and accept it (like the Euo one, the US CPL needs 300nm with 3 stops which almost nobody will do in one day unless deliberately trying to create logbook entries), or not if you tried to bullsh1t him into accepting a 6 month gap

Europe then “invented” commercial aviation and forgot to gold plate this bit

In the end it is down to what the FTO + CAA examiner accepts.

Administrator

In the UK, one of the practical problems with doing the FAA CPL Qualifying NIGHT Cross-country flight – which has to be at least two hours long – is finding airfields that remain open for the whole flight time, especially if returning to one’s own GA base which are rarely open late at night.
I remember doing mine some 15 years ago from Rochester to Exeter.
This involved ‘bribing’ Air Traffic Control to return to Rochester to activate the lights when I had contacted them by SMS that I was 20 minutes away.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 24 Sep 12:17
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

AFAIK the night stuff actually says “full stop landing”.

From CAA:
VFR cross-country flight of at least 540 km (300 NM), which should also include full stop landings at two aerodromes different from that of departure.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Commercial-pilot-licence—-aeroplanes/

EGTR

AFAIK the night stuff actually says “full stop landing”.

Administrator

Here, it depends. A t&g might count as making 2 legs towards the MEP annual currency requirement. But it does not count as a full stop landing if for instance you are doing a night rating which says you need x number of full stop landings. I think one has to look very carefully at the wording.
Eg" 3 take offs and landings in the last 90days" can be touch and goes. But there were and perhaps still are regulations that call for a full stop landing.

France

Would a touch and go count as a stop?

It seems a grey area in the way these are logged. In PPL training, if you fly from say Shoreham to Shoreham with a T&G at Lydd, you log it as EGKA-EGKA with a note next to it about the T&G.

OTOH I have seen logging of a flight with a landing, taxi around, and a takeoff, as two flights.

But I am not aware of a requirement for a landing to be a full stop landing, so a T&G ought to be justifiable for logging purposes.

Administrator

Qalupalik wrote:

a modular CPL course does not require the PIC cross country experience to be done as flying training.

That’s what I was saying then :)

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor, a modular CPL course does not require the PIC cross country experience to be done as flying training.

Fly310, not so weird for candidates trained in the US who might acquire a US pilot certificate prior to the skill test.

London, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message