Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying while waiting for revalidation from CAA?

I’ve sent the paperwork for a revalidation by experience of my license to the UK CAA a few weeks ago. Alas, processing seems to take longer than expected, perhaps due to Xmas backlog or Brexit prep.

As my class rating has expired in the meantime, will I have to wait until CAA gets around to process my revalidation, or may I legally fly while the process is pending?

My money is on the former …

Cheers,

Michael

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Didn’t your Examiner sign your licence up??

Now retired from forums best wishes

I’m in Switzerland, so if I don’t want to go to Gatwick in person or if unable to find a UK-CAA licensed FE nearby who can sign my license, I am forced to send my paperwork to the CAA for revalidation by experience.

Hope that makes sense.

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

In some areas, like car driving, the UK has (or had) a legal principle that you don’t need a license provided you are not disqualified from applying for one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ask funny questions – get funny answers. :-)

They’re currently processing applications from early January. Average turnaround time stated is about 18 working days. Not allowed to fly while process is pending.

Last Edited by Zorg at 12 Feb 09:34
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Ah I see a pain for you!

Now retired from forums best wishes

The main issue is finding a CAA-licensed FE in Switzerland or Eastern France. If anyone knows any, please let me know.

Maybe I should just move my license to Switzerland to avoid this dance. It’s been stated before, but this “only a CAA-licensed FE may sign a CAA license” principle seems to run afoul of the spirit of the EASA. But probably this is a naive thought. :-)

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

@Zorg – You are basically grounded until you receive the new licence.

Re considering transfering your licence from UK to CH: You are aware of the risk of “loosing” your EASA-licence after Brexit? After Brexit it would be considered an ICAO-licence like the US-licences (with the corresponding requirements for any non-EASA licence when you want your EASA-licence back)… (Source: Swiss CAA / BAZL)

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

What I would specifically like to know is whether the UK CAA has ever prosecuted anyone who passed the checkride and flew before the license arrived.

I don’t think they would succeed…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MikeWhiskey wrote:

Re considering transfering your licence from UK to CH: You are aware of the risk of “loosing” your EASA-licence after Brexit? After Brexit it would be considered an ICAO-licence like the US-licences (with the corresponding requirements for any non-EASA licence when you want your EASA-licence back)… (Source: Swiss CAA / BAZL)

Wut? Could you please provide evidence for this (by PM if preferred)?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message