Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying while waiting for revalidation from CAA?

I am today sending a letter to the CAA asking why they have not issued the IR for which I did the flight in August 2018

Luckily, of course, I have the FAA papers and have complied with SRG2140+2142.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Should there be a fork between UK and EASA Part-FCL licences UK CAA will establish a procedure for granting UK Part-FCL licences, under a simulacrum of the Aircrew Regulation as retained EU law, to licence holders formerly under its administration.

Indeed not a big issue for UK-based pilots. However, non-UK based pilots with a license issued by the UK CAA, flying in EASA-land, could get an issue, not to say a problem…

Last Edited by Marcel at 15 Feb 08:09
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland
The best insurance … is to move the state of license issue … to another EASA country.

Should there be a fork between UK and EASA Part-FCL licences UK CAA will establish a procedure for granting UK Part-FCL licences, under a simulacrum of the Aircrew Regulation as retained EU law, to licence holders formerly under its administration. While UK stays out of EASA both licences could be held concurrently although there might be difficulty efficiently maintaining both.

While the license is being issued, same as above applies: Might have to wait until the transfer is complete to be able to fly in mainland Europe.

Some states may issue a permission pursuant to article 12 para 4 of the Aircrew Regulation.

It’s not clear whether the SOLI transfer can be completed successfully if it is merely initiated but not finished before Brexit happens, or whether it must be finished before Brexit.

There’s no guarantee of being able to make the exchange on and after exit day. It is the date of exchange and not the date of requesting the change of state which counts.

London, United Kingdom

When they say I can, I guess it is within their rules The document agrees.

Perfect. There are some more ‘relaxed’ CAAs who play the EASA-rules as they are, in opposite to other CAAs who have some “strange” habits…

MikeWhiskey wrote:

Only as long as it is in-line with the rules of your CAA. These are outlined in the EASA Examiner Differences Document, see post #14 for the link to it.

Our CAA has a FAQ about this stuff (and other often asked questions) on their home page. When they say I can, I guess it is within their rules The document agrees.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

* It’s not clear whether Brexit will happen (in about 6 weeks).

Well, it appears pretty clear that Brexit will happen. The UK-Government even declined to postpone Brexit. But in politics you never know…

*If Brexit happens, it’s not clear whether licenses issued by the UK CAA will allow the holder to fly in Europe (outside of the UK) right after Brexit.

Yep. It looks like (= since there is no announcement to this) that UK-issued licences will be treated like any other ICAO-(non-EASA)-licence, i.e. like an US-licence. This could be seen as the logical consequence when leaving EASA.

*Perhaps some solution will be found that permits continuity for UK CAA license holders (e.g., UK stays in EASA), but nothing is known at this point.

Maybe, who knows. But UK to stay in EASA would, amongst others, mean, that they accept EU-jurisdiction, which they have clearly declined. So, with this stance it is pretty unrealistic that they will remain in EASA. At this stage, typically Norway and Switzerland are used as examples of non-EU members in EASA, but these countries do accept EU-jurisdiction.

*The best insurance against the above scenario is to move the state of license issue (SOLI; and first, the medical) from the UK to another EASA country.

Yep.

*Its not clear how long this process might take, but it’s in the order of 3-6 months or more.

All-in maybe. I have started the process of transferring my license early December, and currently the UK CAA is working on my application to transfer the license (they have charged my credit card a couple of days ago which means they are currently working on my file). So in my case, fingers crossed, I might expect to receive my Swiss license somewhen during late Feb / Mar = 4 months, but deducting the holiday season = net 3.5 months…. Let’s hope the best.

*While the license is being issued, same as above applies: Might have to wait until the transfer is complete to be able to fly in mainland Europe.

That’s sort of a worst-case scenario, but could well become reality. Maybe EASA will introduce a sort of temporary acceptance of UK-licenses, who knows…

*It’s not clear whether the SOLI transfer can be completed successfully if it is merely initiated but not finished before Brexit happens, or whether it must be finished before Brexit.

Good question. Maybe depending on the ‘new’ CAA, how they treat this issue…

*Before applying for SOLI change, the medical must be transferred. Swiss FOCA estimates this to take about three months, so after current Brexit date.

Wow! My guess this is a rather long estimate, but again: Who knows? In my case the medical transfer was around 6 weeks (net of the holiday season).

So one has to hope for the goodwill of the two CAAs to hold the SOLI transfer and not reject it (and count the original date of submission) before the medical transfer is complete.

Not sure why they should reject it. Let’s assume they have the working thesis that the date of application (before Brexit) is relevant rather than the actual date of transfer…

Whiskey tango foxtrot!

Fully agreed…

So let me get this straight:

• It’s not clear whether Brexit will happen (in about 6 weeks).
  • If Brexit happens, it’s not clear whether licenses issued by the UK CAA will allow the holder to fly in Europe (outside of the UK) right after Brexit.
  • Perhaps some solution will be found that permits continuity for UK CAA license holders (e.g., UK stays in EASA), but nothing is known at this point.
  • The best insurance against the above scenario is to move the state of license issue (SOLI; and first, the medical) from the UK to another EASA country.
  • Its not clear how long this process might take, but it’s in the order of 3-6 months or more.
  • While the license is being issued, same as above applies: Might have to wait until the transfer is complete to be able to fly in mainland Europe.
  • It’s not clear whether the SOLI transfer can be completed successfully if it is merely initiated but not finished before Brexit happens, or whether it must be finished before Brexit.
  • Before applying for SOLI change, the medical must be transferred. Swiss FOCA estimates this to take about three months, so after current Brexit date. So one has to hope for the goodwill of the two CAAs to hold the SOLI transfer and not reject it (and count the original date of submission) before the medical transfer is complete.

Whiskey tango foxtrot!

Last Edited by Zorg at 14 Feb 15:51
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

I can go anywhere in EASA land to get a sign off for revalidation

Only as long as it is in-line with the rules of your CAA. These are outlined in the EASA Examiner Differences Document, see post #14 for the link to it.

Hmm, I can go anywhere in EASA land to get a sign off for revalidation or a LPT (as EASA intended), and we are not even part of the EU.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Zorg
If I would be in your position I would wait until I have received the licence, but not longer than early / mid March. Maybe I’m a bit paranoid but I expect the worst possible case to materialize with important issues like getting the licence back….

If helpful for you I send you the link to the forms which you will need.

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message