Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Familiarisation needs for a TB20

Welcome to TB20-ownership and always happy landings!

AFAIK, there is another TB20 stationed at EDLM. The owner, Christian, is a very friendly and helpful guy. I have not been in touch with him for a while but believe his plane is still based there.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Yes Christian is still based in EDLM with his TB20. He had the place right beside me but I moved to northern germany with my plane last saturday. For ever.
@OliverB: I have still a steel locker in the hangar if you‘re interested drop me a mail

EDWF, Germany

Peter wrote:

It is the autopilot trim servo driving the pitch trim continuously. Certified autopilots that have pitch trim are required to annunciate if the trim has been running continuously for something like 10 seconds, and are required to disconnect the autopilot if the trim has been running continuously for something like 15 seconds. The pilot’s guide for your autopilot should have these details and you need to obtain all these and read through them. Actually a lot of that stuff should be in the AFMSs (flight manual / POH supplements).

This is basically what caused the recent Boeing 737 MAX crashes, so if you have electric trim you must know how to detect and deal with it. This can happen in light aircraft, too. A Cessna 172 crashed on takeoff after an undetected trim runaway when the A/P was inadvertently engaged on the ground. This was with the KAP140 A/P which was subsequently updated with new software to prevent this situation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is basically what caused the recent Boeing 737 MAX crashes

Not quite the same.

The 737 pitch protection looks like having been bodged but the key factor is that the B737 type rating didn’t include the knowledge of which buttons to press to disable the runaway trim.

Whereas in GA the pilot is supposed to know how to turn it off, and it is really obvious. The fact that lots of autopilot owners don’t really know what the box is doing and when, is a separate matter; it is wrapped up with all the other “aircraft systems knowledge” stuff and if you addressed it properly you would have a “type rating” for each different avionics installation, which presumably nobody wants because most people just want to buy a plane and fly it away…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message