Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA ATPL with IR-SP-ME class, SEP and expired MEP to FAA PPL/Multi/IR

Hi all,

I’m looking ahead for a possible touring trip in the US next year. With the target area in mind (Bahamas, Keys, Exumas etc), I’d be trying to source a twin to do it in. Putting aside the logistics of finding a decent twin available to rent without breaking the bank, I’m just exploring the licensing issues.

I’d be very grateful for hints/suggestions/experiences of a way to obtain an FAA PPL/IR/Multi from my existing EASA ATPL with SEP/IR-SP-ME class/Expired MEP. I don’t mind a trip to the US over winter if required, and I also want to be properly proficient with US rules/procedures so that I’m fully prepared for that type of trip. In the meantime, if there is an additional requirement to validate an EASA to FAA MEP, I’d be looking to try and renew my EASA MEP in the UK such that it could be combined flight check or common examiner.

Any input would be gratefully received.

EGKR, United Kingdom

Your EASA ATP allows you to convert to FAA.
For FAA ATP AMEL you need the CTP which will add about 6000 usd additionally.
Basically the steps are:
1) get validation (FAA PVT ASEL)
2) do ATP CTP course
3) do FAA ATP multi theoretical exam
3) do the FAA ATP AMEL practical exam

You could also convert to FAA CPL AMEL but then you’d need to do two extra exams for the IR (one theoretical, one practical).

The FAA ATP ASEL (single engine) is easier and cheaper to convert as you don’t need the CTP course.

The CTP course is useless for a european pilot with ATP background. It makes partly sense in the US but nobody pays for it themselves as the regional airlines include it when hiring one.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I’m currently doing my ATP/CTP and in our class of 8 everybody is paying for it… 6 of us are from Europe/Africa and looking to get the FAA ATP

The easiest way for what you want to do is to revalidate your EASA MEP and then ask for a validation (to private privilege)
You will have a FAA PPL SE ME based on your European licence.

If you want to add a instrument, pass the knowledge exam (witch is not difficult) 3 hours with a instructor (if you have all the requirements) and practical test.

If you have others question let me know

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Romain wrote:

If you want to add a instrument, pass the knowledge exam (witch is not difficult) 3 hours with a instructor (if you have all the requirements) and practical test.

Is that (practical test) for ME instrument?
For SE instrument there us only a theoretical test iirc.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

It makes partly sense in the US but nobody pays for it themselves as the regional airlines include it when hiring one.

I stand corrected: Almost no US pilots pay for it themselves.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have a validated 61.75 based FAA license with SE ME IR. I never flew with an instructor to get it. I did do an FAA IR theory exam.

EDLE, Netherlands

Thank you guys very much for your input. As I only would need PPL privileges (with ME and IR), it sounds as though renewing my EASA MEP rating, then seeking an FAA validation is they way forward. I really appreciate the knowledge the forum provides!

EGKR, United Kingdom

Keep in mind FAA validation of a foreign license takes a couple of months depending on your CAA.
I just went through the process.

Also , considering your trip destination, you could save some time and effort by omitting the Instrument Rating and just getting the SEP/MEP privileges for VFR.

Belgium

Thank you very much for the information guys – that’s really useful.

EGKR, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message