Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Always squawk VFR after cancelling IFR?

I wouldn’t rely on a sqauwk saving you from CAIT. The logic in CAIT is most likely something like: if(findSquawk(code) == false) { sendToGASCo(); } rather than if(squawk == 7000) { sendToGASCo(); } – so if the airspace you bust is not owned by whoever gave you the squawk, you’re going to get busted.

Andreas IOM

I think a (7000 squawk) AND (in CAS) must get flagged by CAIT, because – in the UK, IME – every CAS owner will assign you a special squawk before they clear you for a transit.

The algorithm is probably a bit more clever, because e.g. Farnborough will give you one of their own squawks every time, yet an infringer with that should still be picked up. See also this.

They can’t make it all that clever though, because general inbound IFR traffic will have a vast range of squawks. OTOH those could be excluded by being on known IFR flight plans.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

every CAS owner will assign you a special squawk before they clear you for a transit

I think in practive 7000 will mean you are not talking to any sort of ATC which controls airspace, ergo you can’t be cleared.

The other day, on the return leg from my trip, I requested to not be dumped at detling and to remain high as long as possible (i was at FL120). I had to start a descent (from FL100) over Southend (SND) to EGSX (almost a glide approach), and got a “cleared to leave control aispace by descent”, no change in squawck. I wasn’t completely sure if I’d be cleared to re-entrered once I exited, so ended up managing the rate of descent to only leave at the very last minute (before the Standsted 1500 bit). I then increased it steeply to avoid the 1500 bit. Didn’t ask the controlling agency as they were a bit busy and had already been very nice to me.

Last Edited by Noe at 14 Aug 09:46

On IFR arrival into EGLK which always includes a transition through uncontrolled airspace I have never been asked to change squawk when speaking to Farnborough or Thames Radar so I continue to use the “airways squawk” whilst OCAS.

And when handed over to Blackbushe at the very end, I think it is only in 15-20% of cases that I have been asked to squawk VFR.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Once given a squawk, I would keep it until either a) on the ground or b) told to change it.

I had exactly your situation, Florian, flying a Y-FPL IFR from Tour LFOT to Speck LSZK (a VFR airfield) last week. I was being vectored at 6’000 towards Speck from the southwest by Zurich Approach in rather poor weather. He requested I indicate when ready to cancel IFR. When the time came and I did so, he also said “IFR stops now at xx:xx” but said nothing about squawk. He then cleared me to descend direction Speck but remain on the frequency (I was still in his (controlled) airspace, but now VFR). As I passed through 5’000 over Zurisee he said I was cleared to leave the frequency, Dubendorf was not active, and to squawk VFR.

LSZK, Switzerland

wbardorf wrote:

And when handed over to Blackbushe at the very end, I think it is only in 15-20% of cases that I have been asked to squawk VFR.

Just to add to my earlier comment: When I flew into Blackbushe today on an IFR airways squawk, on handover to Blackbushe from Farnborough, I was explicitly told “Please retain current squawk, contact Blackbushe on 122.305”.

Additionally, when cruising enroute at FL80 on POL P18 STAFA L8 HON N859 CPT DCT HANKY DCT PEPIS inbound towards Birmingham I was told by London Control: “I assume you are aware that FL80 will take you outside controlled airspace. Can you accept climb to FL90 to stay within controlled airspace? Otherwise, it will be deconfliction service outside controlled airspace.”

Contrary to some others’ experiences others, I so far have had London Control notify me of the potential to leave controlled airspace on all my flights and often have them offer alternatives. And it was great to see London Control proactively offering Deconfliction Service OCAS.

I got the opposite on Saturday, Shoreham to Quimper LFRQ. As soon as I was OCAS FL090 they dumped me to FIS 124.60 who issued a VFR squawk and thus silently terminated my IFR clearance. They gave me the original squawk back before handover to Brest.

I will write this up when I am back but they also issued Shoreham with a DC for me of DCT SFD which apart from going in the opposite direction would have busted the TRA there. [The CAA man who demanded his name removed from EuroGA] would have… hmmm better not write that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I got the opposite on Saturday, Shoreham to Quimper LFRQ.

Nice place, planning to go there next weekend for the bank holiday weekend. Any PIREP on anything of note? I noticed that the AIP says that AD hours are:

MON-FRI: 0430-2100
SAT 0600-1100 (SUM 0600-1800)
SUN 0800-1030, 1500-2100
Outside these SKED, extension subject to agreement from AD operator (TEL or E-mail)

ATS on the other hand are available from 0800Z to 2130Z. Do you know how difficult it is to arrange a flight during the Sunday afternoon break or on Saturday afternoon?

As soon as I was OCAS FL090 they dumped me to FIS 124.60 who issued a VFR squawk and thus silently terminated my IFR clearance. They gave me the original squawk back before handover to Brest.

What did you file? With EGKA DCT GWC Y8 SAM Q41 ORTAC <…>, wouldn’t the base of CAS even be quite low anyway? I would be surprised if they vectored you OCAS and then left you to your own devices. I have found that they painstakingly try to keep you within CAS unless your route obviously takes you OCAS.

During the flight that I mentioned in my earlier post I had to descend to FL80 due to icing at FL90 and the controller vectored me around the small bit of uncontrolled airspace (this was a piece of airspace around Sheffield when I was on an approximate track LBA-TNT as a result of a shortcut given). I proactively requested to go OCAS as long as I could easily re-enter controlled airspace. The controller suggested to stay out of it as it was an active glider area so I accepted the vectored route. So was quite happy with both Scottish and London Control.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message