Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR: clearance limit and "expect vectors" by Arrival

Eurocontrol: https://ext.eurocontrol.int/lexicon/index.php/Clearance_limit

AIP Austria:

2.1. General provisions
2.1.1. Arriving IFR flights entering a terminal control area and intending to land or to carry out an instrument approach proce- dure will be cleared to a specified main radio navigational aid in accordance with the published arrival routes (STAR); where arrival routes are not published, the clearance limit will be the main radio navigational aid serving the aerodrome concerned. If the clearance limit is reached prior to further ATC instructions, the holding procedure according to item 1 shall be commenced at the last assigned and acknowledged level.

On the ground: Receive IFR clearance, contains „cleared to XXXX airport via SID, flight planned route, etc..

Then airborne on so far every IFR flight so far I received either vectors for approach or „cleared/follow/fly XYZ STAR/Arrival/…“.

This goes against the ifr clearance received on the ground, as that clearance included the destination airport. My conclusion is that the small print on the STAR chart will say „clearance limit“ and the wording „cleared STAR XYZ“ from ATC is required, otherwise you have to enter the hold. It might be different all over places though and it will take some regulation digging to clear it up.

has a Beagle...
LOWG Graz Austria

As far as I’m concerned I expect pilots to fly all the way to the IAF unless otherwise requested

EBZW EBST

airways wrote:

As far as I’m concerned I expect pilots to fly all the way to the IAF unless otherwise requested

So no additional „cleared STAR XYZ“?

has a Beagle...
LOWG Graz Austria

I don’t. Our STARS don’t mean much so I’d rather get everybody to the iaf as soon as I can.

EBZW EBST
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message