Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR: lost comms, clearance limit and "expect vectors" by Arrival

lionel wrote:

In IMC:
squawk 7600;maintain the last assigned speed and level or the minimum IFR cruising level (climb to that allowed) for a period of 7 minutes;

If you are IFR in IMC on NORDO after 7min but you are aware of VMC somewhere else (e.g. along route, departure), does not make sense to just roll back or divert to VMC then land in nearby/departure airfield while on sqwak 7600?

I am curious how one would go back to filed IFR route, approach/missed without any clue on terminal weather (usually ATIS)? ceiling and visibility in theory should not matter (one is supposed to stick to his minima but I see no point going there if your risky bet was to hear a confirmation from ATIS that ceiling/visibility are higher than 300ft/2km )

speed wrote:

When a 7600 is seen, Military ATC is advised and this unit advises one of the National Control and Reporting Centres (NATO). From there a fine tuned machine starts to work. I’m sorry that the full procedure is classified.

I think there is an easy way to know for pilots, set 7600 on transponder

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

If you are IFR in IMC on NORDO after 7min but you are aware of VMC somewhere else (e.g. along route, departure), does not make sense to just roll back or divert to VMC then land in nearby/departure airfield while on sqwak 7600?

I think that the idea is that ATC expects you to revert to FPL, so they can/will clear the way for you. In IMC, they are responsible for avoiding mid-air collisions, so they need an idea of what you are doing, where you are going, etc. Especially non-radar, that understanding/knowledge is crucial. If you divert to known VMC that is not on your route, they cannot guess where you divert to, what your route to that diversion is, so (for the piece of route in IMC before you reach VMC), they cannot get other traffic away from you.

By contrast, in VMC, you (and other pilots) are responsible for avoidance under “see and avoid” with the help of the Mk1 eyeball. The Europe & ICAO procedure is not explicit about that, but I would consider that as a VFR flight from that point on, for all intents and purposes. The US law is more explicit, it says you continue under VFR.

Now, if on your filed route, you do encounter VMC (not only VMC “on top”, but VMC down to the ground), then, yes, I think it makes sense, at that point, to switch to the VMC lost comms procedure.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

Especially non-radar, that understanding/knowledge is crucial. If you divert to known VMC that is not on your route, they cannot guess where you divert to, what your route to that diversion is, so (for the piece of route in IMC before you reach VMC), they cannot get other traffic away from you.

Yes on procedural separation, I get your point as ATC will probably not clear the next guy to the same route/level unless you show a sign off life or your are past arrival ETA, on radar environments, ATC need to know your intentions but they can also work around? I understand for a scheduled airliner not making their planned destination as filed is a “big fail” (e.g. fuel, pax, ops…) but for GA aircraft, one can quickly sort any diversion to a runway bellow at 45deg along the route than trying a big destination with no Radio, no ATIS/RWY, VMC on-top is a tough choice to just go as planned, I am not good at finding holes

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Feb 13:48

I have an IFR lost comms question that probably fits this thread:

I realized there is a difference between the FAA and Canada in regards to MEAs. Scenario is we are at MEA and after the next waypoint the new MEA is higher. In the USA you’re supposed to start climbing at the waypoint. In Canada you should reach the new MEA at the waypoint already. In the USA that would only be required if there is an MCA, minimum crossing altitude, at that waypoint.
What am I supposed to do in Europe? The regs appear silent on this, as well as ICAO PANS-OPS, unless I missed something. So I’m rather asking how this is trained here.

I know this is a bit academic, in reality I would just do whatever is safe. But I have an IR skill test coming up this year and don’t want to tell the examiner a US procedure in the oral part. ;-)

@ArcticChiller if on a CBIR then the examiner may ask you on subjects such as calculation of minima, IFR definition, airspace, ATC etc

If on an IR course then the examiner will just administer the test.

You fly the higher of your last assigned level or MEA, and after twenty minutes (from setting 7600) climb to filed level. In VMC you maintain VMC and land as soon as practical.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 25 Feb 19:30
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

As far as I know the lost comms procedure for the UK is set 7600 on the transponder and get your phone ready to take the pictures of the Typhoon that will shortly be formating with you.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

What are the rules of engagement for IMC?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Using an IRR you are normally navigating outside CAS, so arguably 7600 and letting down using IFR let down rules to establish VMC. If you had filed for an approach in CAS but had not received a clearance to enter CAS you would need to remain clear of CAS I believe.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

On the IMCR, yes, you are VFR traffic even if in IMC and with zero clearance except the clearance you have just got, and any flight plan has precisely zero value

The ICAO lost comms procedure was not written for the quirks of UK ATC…

I am sure a good lawyer could argue otherwise, but it will cost you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The ICAO lost comms procedure was not written for the quirks of UK ATC…

I recall flying triangles in UK class G years ago after electrical failure before going and land in the nearest airport (of course busting an ATZ and a taxiway)
Guess what no one told them I am coming (as no one cares about primary radar returns OCAS or bellow class A)

Steep learning curve for UK flying (back then FISO filed an MOR but nothing bad on it and surely not about “Barton ATZ” )

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Feb 11:49
Sign in to add your message