Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading UL 3-axis to PPL outside Germany (and German ZUP / ZÜP)

Hello to all :-) Great news: I now have my PPL-A-license!!!

Yesterday was my first flight with a four-seat-plane… and I have to say, nothing goes right if you don’t trim your plane! I’ve never experienced that with my microlight and also not with my two-seated training plane. I never thought, that I would need so much muscle power to fly a plane :o

It really felt strange and I needed five landings to get familiar to that plane (a Robin R1180 TD), although I never expected that – I was before like I was able to fly any plane up to two tons MTOW. Seems as if I definitely overestimated myself… fortunately there are my FI’s.

Glad to learn flying once again ;-)

BR, Tobias

EDSO, Germany

Congratulations, Tobias

Yes indeed; trimming is key to lowering the workload of flying a plane. I was not taught this in the PPL until quite late, and it was an amazing thing to realise it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congrats Tobias! My instructors had insisted on this during my PPL, clearly showing that you should be able to let go of the yoke and the plane should continue with same speed and glide, if not, you should trim again (well, that is in calm air of course).
The trim on some airplane can be interesting, I’ve just started flying the C185 on wheels (I flew it earlier on floats). Full power when trim for landing will give some surprising effects, one needs to be prepared and quickly adjust to nose down trim and remove some flaps!

ENVA, Norway

Congrats Tobias !

TobiasM wrote:

It really felt strange and I needed five landings to get familiar to that plane (a Robin R1180 TD)

Ah the nice Robin that you can leave parked outside without wondering about hail and rain
I see a touring future for you Sir to both sunny & rainy places !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This thread coming up reminds me of a student we had at our school; came along in an Audi RS6 with the Lamborghini V10 motor which had been tuned to around 700HP. He wanted the licence to help with his business, to travel faster from A – B. Did the theory in a condensed course at Erlangen. Flew as often as he could and within a couple of months went solo, a few weeks after that requested a date for the test. Unfortunately the Bezirksregierung rejected his ZüP application – too many speeding tickets….. he protested that he hadn’t collected so many points as to be banned but his zuverlässigkeit was refused, after spending around 11k on lessons, flight tuition etc.

Another pilot’s company went bankrupt; the accusation was quickly made that it was a fraudulent bankruptcy but this was never proven, those who knew him said that he was screwed over by a business partner. His ZüP was removed, he was told ‘in 5 years you can reapply’. So the ZüP isn’t just ‘a minor inconvenience’ but can impact your hobby. I just feel disgusted that people can be innocent yet still punished. Just imagine that – your partner screws over your company, it’s bad enough that you lose a shedload of money but it’s worse when the rumours and innuendo make the rounds. Your name is finally cleared, the prosecutor has no proof that the bankruptcy was in anyway illegal yet you still have to face consequences unrelated to what happened….

EDL*, Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message