Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrading UL 3-axis to PPL outside Germany (and German ZUP / ZÜP)

Correction of my post #5: “only 35 hours needed”

boscomantico wrote:

These savings might easily be eaten up by the travel costs (or any other additional costs which come along your away).

I agree, also can´t imagine doing it here in 3 weeks, I´d estimate double that.

Last Edited by Destinatus at 10 Oct 12:45
Prague
Czech Republic

As a non-German speaker I started my PPL training in Malaga, Spain but completed it afterwards in Germany. For me, it was not a good decision to do the training abroad. This is nothing to do with the quality of instruction. That was perfectly fine. However, the real hassle was travel, scheduling, organising etc. There are people who could finish the training really quick, but that is more of an exception than rule. In the end the cost would be not so different.

In any training organisation, I think it’d be a miscalculation to rely on one instructor for language or other convenience. There could be issues like scheduling, style conflict, etc. Yes, one should not train with too many different instructors, but there is something to learn from each instructor style.

ZÜP: is this a big deal? I remember that I was instructed to fill up a form and pay for the verification process, but just normal German bureaucracy ;-)

EDMB, Germany

Thanks to you all for your replies. I just signed the documents for the ZÜP and I will come back to you as soon as I have the results.

EDSO, Germany

Now it’s been four weeks… and still no answer from the guys from the ZÜP. Do you have any experiences about the duration it takes to get the ZÜP?

EDSO, Germany

IIRC mine took about a week or two at maximum. That was in Lower Saxony though…it might be dependent on the state, as its ultimately the Landesluftfahrtbehörde that does the ZÜP.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Umm… on the website they’re saying that it can take up to seven weeks :-( Then let’s wait a little longer…

EDSO, Germany

Most 3 axis aircraft will be recognised as a Single Engine Land by the FAA.

I certainly know someone who used his 700 hours of Kolb time towards an FAA CPL.

Today, the ZÜP finally arrived – and it tells me that I am reliable (zuverlässig) to fly :-) So, next steps will be the theory and then starting to fly…

EDSO, Germany

Delayed.. I just bought a house for my family and myself ;-) I’ll keep you up to date as soon as I am continuing to upgrade my license…

EDSO, Germany

Nice. Buying a house in today’s market in Germany is an achievement by itself! We are on the lookout for something suitable for over a year now, and prices only go up!

It’s probably easier to buy an aircraft than a house these days, less “traps” to worry about. And that says something I guess….

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message