Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A question about familiarization with an aircraft with safety in mind

Fellow Pilots;

Since I am planning to buy an airplane which I did not fly before and I want to familiarize myself to her , I asked a question to FAA Flight School in the States and received such an answer : “…As long as you will not fly solo, you will not need a foreign license verification from the FAA.”

I just wonder if this rule also applies for under EASA regulation? I don’t want any licence conversion, instead just a FI signature on my logbook. In this case I would not go and fly in the States and instead I can do the familirization in Germany, or other EASA member. Currently ; I have ATPL(A) IR B737NG,active flyer and my last flight was a SEP was in 2012. (SEP experience is based on Cessna 172 -182 – 185, 1000+ hours , total airplane 7000 + hours. )

Thanks for your contributions .

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

Your license is EASA I guess. You would have to renew your SEP with an FE (others, correct me if I am wrong).

The plane you want to buy is N-reg or EASA reg ?

It works basically the same in both worlds BTW. For an SEP, you just need your SEP and the type-applicable endorsements (EFIS, variable pitch prop etc..).

LFOU, France

“…As long as you will not fly solo, you will not need a foreign license verification from the FAA.”

If I understand correctly you intend to familiarize yourself with an airplane before having the necessary qualifications (EASA, SEP or FAA ASEL)?

Yes, if you do not receive instruction towards a rating and do not act as PIC you can fly (eg with an Instructor) on US territory.

Obviously, it would make sense to first renew your EASA SEP and then familiarize with a FI who can aso sign the differences training (efis, gear, prop) as required.

I would assume you cannot obtain the difference training as long as your SEP rating is expired.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Dec 08:16
always learning
LO__, Austria

I have a licence of ICAO NON EASA, issued by Turkey, but my SEP is expired. I will renew my SEP here and familirization in Europe if possible and it is Legal. The airplane is PA28 Warrior.

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

Just renew your SEP and fly with an instructor till you feel comfortable. From legal and insurance perspective a valid SEP class rating is sufficient.

I started flying a Cirrus SR22. I was asking a CSIP (Cirrus Standardized Instructor Pilot). He told me I needed a 4 day transition training. “If you are really good maybe we can do it in three days”. The cost: 600 EUR / day ex VAT + the cost of the aircraft + landings.

In the end I just did the online training (which is really well made, with instructional videos and animations) and I hired a freelance instructor.
After 2:30hr I was flying solo. Spent another 1:30hr on IR training. That’s it.

From legal and insurance perspective a valid SEP class rating is sufficient

That is correct legally (a SE Class Rating is just that) but the insurance angle varies.

For example I could fly an N-reg TBM on my FAA PPL (CPL/IR actually but same thing) but no way would I get insurance.

A few years ago I phoned up my usual insurer re SR22 requirements and they were certainly not zero; they were looking for some instruction time. It was in connection with some discussion here but I can’t find the post right now. The SR22 in particular has generated some interesting “insurer reactions” – example.

Practically speaking one should have a full understanding of all relevant aircraft systems before flying. No need to know how to set it up for an IAP if one is just a VFR pilot, for example. The time to get “converted” depends very much on one’s aptitude and on the instructor’s competence.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It really depends on the type and your past experience, no? I can imagine an IFR pilot proficient in modern avionics will indeed find a transition to the SR22 quite seamless. But it doesn’t mean you’ll have the knowledge of the systems which might prove necessary if they start to malfunction.

For some types in the US the insurance will request a minimum number of dual hours. The European scene is more relaxed on this aspect.

Last Edited by denopa at 11 Dec 11:05
EGTF, LFTF

SkyWagon wrote:

I have a licence of ICAO NON EASA, issued by Turkey, but my SEP is expired. I will renew my SEP here and familirization in Europe if possible and it is Legal. The airplane is PA28 Warrior.

You need to follow Turkeys national rules then. I do not know if an EASA licensed instructor can instruct you if you have a turkish/icao license (paging @qualupalik)?

If, by familiarization, you mean simply getting some exposure to the plane and not any legal form of training, you can do that with anybody, anywhere, but the other pilot would be PIC and you would be a passenger. If you want you can come to LOWG and we can fly an Arrow 200 together, for instance.

always learning
LO__, Austria

According to EASA type rating and licence endorsment list below, and having SEP is OK to fly the airplane, but flying with that airplane with the FI is beneficial. I made a phone call and I was told the reference quidance is the document here.Neither engine type, nor avionics differs for SEP unless it is complex aircraft.

10122019_EASA_T_R_List_Acft_pdf

Fly , Cycle and Run
LTBJ,LTFB, Turkey

Not sure what you mean. Yes, SEP is the class rating to fly it. And differences training is required for retract gear / variable pitch prop in the case of an Arrow.

But the question for you is how you can fly an EASA registered plane in EU with a turkish national / icao license, isn’t it?

always learning
LO__, Austria
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message