Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATPL and CPL License differences (can you fly a bizjet on a CPL/IR?)

What HPA ATO exam?

If you already have a CPL/IR then you can just take the High Performance Aircraft theory course and exam through distance learning to top up before taking the type rating. It costs between 681 Euro and 899 pounds, with a higher price and scope for those with CBIR rather than full IR theory.

Content is taken from six ATPL modules.

Google reveals two ATOs offering courses – Central Aviation Training Europe and CATS.

Unlike the ATPLs, the HPA test passes never expire.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Ok, we meant the same thing. Thanks for clarifying your previous answer. Obviously the distance learning provider has to also be an ATO.

always learning
LO__, Austria

So which country’s NAAs accept the HPA without a classroom part? Switzerland for example doesn’t, and a pilot who has gone through this told me you have to pay 3k for the course even if you have passed the theory by distance learning at another ATO.

Would be interested in experiences from France, asking for a friend and don’t want to wake sleeping dogs.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Dec 07:20

This isn’t subject to national rules. If this is true a report to EASA is necessary.

always learning
LO__, Austria

So which country’s NAAs accept the HPA without a classroom part?

Worth a mention, for compleness, that an alternative route to the HPA requirement if to have passed the “ATPL” theory (no matter how long ago and even if you never did any CPL/IR or ATPL flight training). It can be any ICAO ATPL, including the single-exam FAA one which I believe is still accessible if you embark on a SE ATP (though you need an FAA PPL to do the CPL and you need the CPL to sit the ATP exam). Quite a lot of private pilots do hold the FAA CPL/IR, myself included, because they did it simply because it was very accessible compared with the European route.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

Yes you can, I fly both Citation and King Air on an EASA PPL with appropriate type ratings and embedded IR. I used to fly on an FAA CPL/IR with type ratings but I don’t keep that up to date at the moment as I am not flying US reg aircraft.
Note that to actually get the type rating you need a MEIR as a pre-requisite to the training course, so you have to have a current EASA IR on a MEP at that time.

Thanks for the clarification.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message