Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is your training / total hours ratio?

Dear all,

I just had a good week (hope everyone did!), flying hard IFR or at night with kids and such and I was reflecting on how it happened as I felt completely rusty a couple of months ago. Then I realized that I had done 2 IFR training sessions and one sim session in the past 15 days, which brings my ratio training / total hours to about 25% over the last 2 weeks.

Going through my logbook, that ratio seems to hover around 20-25%. (800TT including 70hrs PPL, 40hrs IFR, 16hrs CPL, 30hrs insurance-mandated dual for the twin and 50 hours tailwheel/ultralight/bfrs/ipcs).

What’s yours?

PS: the “good week” includes miserably missing out a NOTAM closing an airfield for non-based aircraft (to my defense it got published between the flight preparation & the flight, but still), so let’s never lower our guard!

Last Edited by wleferrand at 21 Feb 20:20

I practically don’t do any training at all but I fly few hours every week, averaging 150 hours per year. I feel that some simulator time would improve my emergency situations handling skills but I simply can’t find to do that.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

15% of my hours were dual

LPFR, Poland

My ratio leans sightly more towards the training side, around ⅓ if my time is training.
But on the other hand, I have only about 330 hours and keep on doing new things. If I hadn’t been adding new differences trainings and ratings, I’d be 20%ish.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

I have about 60 hours TT and my ratio is more like 90% training. I barely flew solo after the PPL, as most of my flights were either instruction on new types or check rides for new schools. The fact that I moved very shortly after the PPL and then had to change schools twice due to various problems didn’t help…

Last Edited by MedEwok at 22 Feb 22:28
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I have 1600 TT. For the first 3 years my training time was 20%, as you learn new things. Thereafter it became episodic with big spurts of dual as trained for FAA PPL, FAA IR, Complex Rating, Turbine rating, And more recently EASA IR.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I am usually 60h/year about 20% dual (I also add 60h in gliders/motor-gliders and instrument simulator at home), I also found 15% dual vs all years total

The rusty feeling never go in winter, this year I felt more current as got chance to fly in Florida but previous winters were interesting (I don’t do channel crossing between Oct-Mar and grass airfields for local fun flying is always waterlogged )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My logbook shows 2594 TT and 196 dual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A smidge over 1% of almost 20,000 hours

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

140h PUT on a total time of 540h now

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message