Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATO required for TBM SET Class Rating?

Hello all,

Recently, we acquired a 12 year old TBM850 on F-register.

Although we currently hold FAA licenses, we choose to keep it on EU register.

That means PPL conversions, obtaining CB-IR’s, doing HPA certificates and then SET class rating.

For the first three certificates, an ATO will be required.

In respect to the SET class rating for TBM, I recently read an interesting statement:

“This Class Rating can be done by a Class Rating Instructor (CRI); it is not mandatory to do it in an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) but in reality very few CRIs are qualified to do it. After the training, the Check Ride will be done by a Class Rating Examiner (CRE)”.

This would be very interesting: we have the availability of a CRI and CRE, but they are currently not attached to an ATO. They think they DO have to be related to an ATO for providing training on the TBM…

Where could I find in EU regulations wether or not an ATO is required for this training and skill test?

Netherlands

Part FCL, for example, part FCL.725 lists under the requirements for a type or class rating that the pilot completes a course at an ATO, with single engine piston / TMG also possible at a DTO.

Biggin Hill

Good evening and congratulations!

I hope you will enjoy your 850.

Regarding training, I would only comment that it might be best to train with highly experienced TBM instructors. As you can expect, these would be linked to an ATO.

I see real value in getting the most of these few training days to then fly your TBM every day to the highest standards.

Kind regards,

David

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

As you can expect, these would be linked to an ATO.

Is this a legal requirement? It may be on an EASA-reg (the OP is F-reg) but I am 99% certain it isn’t on an N-reg.

A freelance instructor is much more likely to be favoured by a typical TBM owner who is obviously very wealthy and needs to find an instructor who will travel with him on his business and other trips. The instructor gets hotel stays in these places. Involving an ATO in this is totally pointless, unless legally required. It then inflates the cost because the ATO is billing a margin on top.

I have known a load of TBM (and KA and some bizjet) owners over the years and all of them were doing this. Not a bad job for an instructor who doesn’t mind being away from home

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Recently, we acquired a 12 year old TBM850 on F-register.

Congratulations :)

That means PPL conversions, obtaining CB-IR’s, doing HPA certificates and then SET class rating.

For the IR, utilizing the CB IR training route, you can fly 30 hours with an instrument rating instructor „outside“ an ATO. Even in your TBM (PPL → HPA → TBM SET CR → [CB] IR).

This Class Rating can be done by a Class Rating Instructor (CRI); it is not mandatory to do it in an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) but in reality very few CRIs are qualified to do it. After the training, the Check Ride will be done by a Class Rating Examiner (CRE)”.

This would be very interesting: we have the availability of a CRI and CRE, but they are currently not attached to an ATO. They think they DO have to be related to an ATO for providing training on the TBM…

Where could I find in EU regulations wether or not an ATO is required for this training and skill test?

Google EASA FCL Easy Access. There you find the EU Regulations and the corresponding EASA „interpretation“ in the form of AMCs (acceptable means of compliance).

FCL.725 Requirements for the issue of class and type ratings

Regulation (EU) 2018/1974

(a) Training course. An applicant for a class or type rating shall complete a training course at an ATO. An applicant for a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating, a TMG class rating or a single-engine type rating for helicopters referred to in point DTO.GEN.110(a)(2)(c) of Annex VIII (Part-DTO) may complete the training course at a DTO. The type rating training course shall include the mandatory training elements for the relevant type as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Annex I (Part-21) to Commission Regulation (EU) No 748/2012.

According to this, for a TBM, a class rating course at an ATO is required.

I’m sure the folks over at https://tbmowners.org/ have some good input to this.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 09 Mar 23:25
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I’m sure the folks over at https://tbmowners.org/ have some good input to this.

I joined that forum few years ago. It’s USD 395 per year, has little traffic compared to Euroga and most of the pilots are US based.

If looking for an ATO, I did my class rating at RAS. Not far from The Netherlands and it was OK. Took two weeks.

LPFR, Poland

At my home base EHBD, there are several TBM’s. Aviation School De Kempen is an Approved Training Organisation (ATO).
They provide class rating training for the TBM and I know they have lots of experience with the different TMB types and avionics.
I’m sure they can help you with regulations and/or type rating if you wish.

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands

If you need an EASA class rating for the the TBM, then I can thoroughly recommend Oysterair. No experience of their TBM course but lots of very positive impressions of their general professionalism and expert instructors on their FAA IR, conversion to EASA IR and PA46T class rating.

https://www.oysterair.com/tbm-class-rating

Lydd
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message