Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Biennial flight review EASA - how long can it lapse for

My EASA flight review is due, but I’m having trouble traveling to my plane because of quarantine risks. How much time can pass before the flight review becomes a full blown flight test with an ATO under EASA rules?
I am current under my FAA license.

Tököl LHTL

After it has lapsed you will have to take a proficiency check. But since you´re current under your FAA certificate you will not have to do refresher training (that´s how I understand b(2)).

FCL.740 Validity and renewal of class and type ratings

(a) Validity
The validity period of class and type ratings shall be 1 year, except for single-pilot single-engine class ratings for which the validity period shall be 2 years, unless otherwise determined in the OSD. If pilots choose to fulfil the revalidation requirements earlier than prescribed in FCL.740.A, FCL.740.H, FCL.740.PL and FCL.740.As, the new validity period shall commence from the date of the proficiency check.

(b) Renewal
For the renewal of a class or type rating the applicant shall comply with all of the following:

(1) complete a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Annex
(2) prior to the proficiency check referred to in point (1), complete a refresher training at an ATO if deemed necessary by the ATO to reach the level of proficiency to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft, except if it (?? the applicant??) holds a valid rating for the same class or type of aircraft on a pilot licence issued by a third country in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention and if it is entitled to exercise the privileges of that rating. The applicant may take the training:
(i) at a DTO or at an ATO, if the expired rating concerned a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating, a TMG class rating or a single-engine type rating for helicopters referred to in point DTO.GEN.110(a)(2)(c) of Annex VIII;
(ii) at a DTO, at an ATO or with an instructor, if the rating expired no more than three years before and the rating concerned a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating or a TMG class rating.

Last Edited by Caba at 11 Mar 06:35
EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

WP, out of my own experience, see to it that you don’t let the rating lapse!!!!!!!

I’ve done that thinking it was gonna be a piece of cake to get it renewed and I am grounded for close to 3 years now as the time it takes to prepare and get the check done grows exponentially the longer you don’t fly.

Find an FI and do that one hour training flight and get your rating renewed, otherwise especcially in the present climate it’s going to cost you dearly.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

We’re talking about weeks, not years.

Tököl LHTL

Sure, but just rent a plane plus instructor where you are. It’s always fun trying out a new plane.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

As refresher training and an evaluation by an ATO are not required there is no need for a course completion certificate. The UK CAA, the originator of this alleviation following legal action some years back by pilots returning from Hong Kong, agreed last year that the certificate would not be required. You’d best check whether your competent authority will be equally sensible in the event that the examiner cannot endorse the licence for rating renewal.

London, United Kingdom

Just checked. I have until end of the month. If the time passes, have to test again. Not sure about the Eritreans! That prospect would be really alarming!

Tököl LHTL

Eritreans= writtens (iPhone spell check). In this case, appropriate… (no offense to Eritreans intended) :)

Tököl LHTL

EASA should bin this ridiculous revalidation/renewal deadline and follow the FAA‘s lead, i.e. revalidate with an instructor with no arbitrary time limit for doing so.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Incidentally, having read the FAA’s Collins and Krausz interpretations, I wonder whether the holder of a §61.75 certificate needs to maintain his or her corresponding EASA ratings at all?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message