Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Training stalled

Very good!

I vaguely recall my first solo X/C - I flew the route the night before on FS2000, just so I knew what to expect

Southend and Cambridge should be easy. Just avoid Stapleford; it is known for its free-for-all appalling circuit discipline.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congratulations. I've been to Southend and Cambridge a lot, so it will be a good into to a full ATC service. Both places are very friendly, though on my QXC 7 or so years ago, Southend had me extend my downwind leg for separation purposes, and I am sure they forgot about me. By the time I spoke to them to check when they would like me to turn base leg I was almost half way home (not literally, but I was some 2 or 3 miles from the ATZ at this point.

Congratulations!!

Completed my first solo cross country flight today!

Arrived at the airfield raring to go but my instructor said our aircraft, Robin R120, had a bird strike and the windscreen was cracked so offered me a C152 which I last flew on my trail lesson almost a year ago,not overly impressed but make hay whilst the sun shines etc etc. Completed 3 circuits and sent me off from Earls Colne to Maldon to Felixstowe and back again. Planned altitude was 3,000' but cloud stopped me at 2,500' which wasn't the end of the world.

My times and headings were spot on and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Landing was a bit messy as I flared too early but made it down on the first attempt.

Next trip is a landaway at either Southend or Cambridge next week.

Only 1 had been edited (to remove the F word).

Peter, good to hear you are green at heart.. This Fracking thing may indeed not be such a good idea in countries like the UK, with such a high population density ;)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Quick update,

Started doing navigation now, did my second route today which was a reverse of my first which was Earls Colne - Felixstowe - Maldon - Earls Colne which is a nice little 65nm trip.

The trip today was heavy on instruments due to the haze and even at 2,500' it was murky so I suppose it was my first introduction to IMC. I should point out that the instructor was sat next to me.

Next week more of the same but hopefully doing the route solo!

Instructor reckons about 4 maybe 5 lesson left to the skills test!

Great lesson yesterday, Exercise 16&17 - Forced and precautionary landings.

It was towards the end of the day at Earls Colne and we were the only traffic around so we could do a forced landing without power right into the airfield from 2,500ft, got it absolutely bang on the numbers with a very slick flare & holdoff. The only part which confused me slightly was that the circuit was so tight I'm not used to it, so I've had in my mind for the past 30 flying hours the regular Earls Colne circuit. Obviously without power the regular circuit isn't going to happen so downwind and base were right over the golf course.

It's lessons like that which bring you right back up again if there's ever any doubts!

Going solo is a huge personal step. And it happens relatively early. You realise that at that point you are still a long way from being a pilot.

With things like weather etc, you have to learn to live with it without getting uptight.

When you start doing solo x-country, it all becomes interesting again. Try to work on accuracy in the interim ie try to fly the final approach to the exact airspeed required. Things like that keep the challenge up.

EGTK Oxford

Hang in there as there is an amazing aviation world out there. I got my PPL(A) just over a year ago and this weekend competed (as Nav) in my 1st air race for the 3R's in the Stewards Cup held at Shobdon Airfield. Its was amazing, brilliant, fantastic!

Just now need to hour build to get my racing ticket.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

I do think that better (interesting) times are just round the corner, next week we're doing forced landings which I've touched on in a previous lesson, and then on to navigation.

I reckon I simply want to run before I can walk :)

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message