Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your best ATO experience and why

Not an ATO but Mike’s team at Ultimate Aerobatics at White Waltham are very experienced, professional and friendly. EGLM also is a lovely venue.

@Newbie congratulations on your PPL, Stapleford is a nice airport, patronised by Jimi Hendrix who chartered a Stapleford Piper Apache to take him to the Isle of Wight concert of 1970.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Congrats Newbie on 45hrs – a rare achievement!

Yes we need positive posts in 2020

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I missed the Zlin Trenner posts, perhaps 2021 fly in destination in the offing? If we can arrange a stop enroute to get some Bücker Jungmann time even better. On the return a detour to Bolzano to get some Super Cub mountain flying.

Flyers Flying School at Eltree (Vicky Farmer) – very experienced people, will tailor the training for you. Did my PPL & Night there.

EGTR

Thanks Robert & Peter!

I think I was just very lucky that I had an excellent instructor who teaches the way I learn.

Starting back at Stapleford to get my night rating done at the end of the month – tips for this would be very appreciated!

That’s an amazing little fact about Jimi Hendrix! Surprised they never told me about it, or called the training the Jimi Hendrix experience! 😜

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

the training the Jimi Hendrix experience!

Eric Thurston was the pilot and he can still be found at Stapleford, only 101 years young

Newbie wrote:

Starting back at Stapleford to get my night rating done at the end of the month – tips for this would be very appreciated!

If you can land by night at Stapleford you can land by night anywhere

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Quote Eric Thurston was the pilot and he can still be found at Stapleford, only 101 years young

I’ll have to find him when I get back there!

Quote If you can land by night at Stapleford you can land by night anywhere

Haha, can’t be that bad! I’ll just turn off the light – that way I won’t have to dodge potholes in the grass😂

Learning & burning
Popham, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

For your training needs so far, what was the best DTO/ATO (or other training individual or organisation) you experienced

I can mention two excellent experiences:

1 – PPL training at White Waltham (EGLM) with a great instructor and lovely environment.

2. Tailwheel conversion training with @RobertL18C of this parish!

EGLM & EGTN

RobertL18C wrote:

Eric Thurston was the pilot and he can still be found at Stapleford, only 101 years young

One of my best experiences was renewing my I/R with Eric nearly 30 years ago at Stansted, as always with Eric not only a flight test but a good learning experience, may he continue to enjoy many more years, a true gentleman.

Last Edited by quatrelle at 14 Oct 16:40
Sign in to add your message