Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Presentation and project C170

The more I look into airplanes, the more I like the 170.

In a recent interview, Van himself was asked about designing a high wing plane and he didn’t confirm or deny The community VP said they are asked this question a lot

LFOU, France

Hi everyone !

I want to thanks all of you for your help and your experience ! That help me a lot !

Thanks Cap’tain for your article is very interesting !!!

Now I have a great opportunitie in France and i will write a new post for this, i will close this post.

Friendly

Benzouille
LFTF, LFOW, LFAG, LFAT, LFKA, EGJB, France

Bienvenue Bsamba

I’ve only flown a C140, which was very agreeable in flight and highly recommended

You might have already seen it but here’s an article on a French C170 imported from Kansas

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Neil wrote:

economically it would be cheaper to have the wings removed and freight it in a container by sea

Very much so. It’s far cheaper than you think, and with an N-reg you can have it built back up and inspected by an IA over a few days. Those guys in France, Air Projet are constantly importing vintage aircraft I see on social media and can get 2 in each container.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

With regard to ferry flying from North America, if you want to do it because it’s an ambition or challenge, that’s fair enough, but speaking purely economically it would be cheaper to have the wings removed and freight it in a container by sea. Obviously containerisation is lower risk too,

Having flown it a few times in turbine aircraft it wouldn’t be my choice to fly that route in a SEP, but we don’t all think the same.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I did my initial tailwheel training in a Cessna 170A, then flew it pretty extensively. I loved the aircraft – the view forward is excellent, even with the tail on the ground (taxiing, the view out of the front of the 170A is better than many Piper nosewheel aircraft). Although not fast, if you took the back seats out it made a great aircraft for cross country camping trips (we got all our camping gear and two non-folding bikes (with the wheels off of course!) in the aircraft without much difficulty and without exceeding max gross weight).

Andreas IOM

On FAA-EASA maintenance convergence, a lot depends on whether you can operate the EASA dynamite clause. This has been around for years but either nobody knew about it or few were able to operate it due to “maintenance politics”; I suspect both are true.

Then you are still left with there being a lot more FAA STCs and other FAA approved mods, plus the whole FAA-PMA system. And FAA licenses never expiring (if you got standalone) and being instantly renewable with a BFR/IPC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Check out if your project would also work with an EASA registered plane. Part-ML allows owner pilot maintenance and afaik also release to service when things break (for some things). A freelance authorized Part-66 can issue the ARC.

I’m not an expert but it seems similar to FAA style maintenance now?!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Jun 22:28
always learning
LO__, Austria

Lots of Luscombe photos in my type write-up, linked in an earlier post. Mine was polished and a very pretty bird, I loved the view over the cowling very much (see photo in link) and the ‘pukka pukka’ exhaust sound

Tail wheel Pacers are good although like a Luscombe a bit challenging in ground handling. Their small exterior size is a benefit in maintaining and storing them. If you’re interested in a Pacer, be aware that probably most of them are converted Tri-Pacers, so-called PA 22/20s. These are more typically equipped with a 150 HP or more O-320 engine, which is practical and desirable, versus 135 HP O-290 engines for which parts are now harder to obtain. I personally like the original Tri-Pacer and I think most people do the conversion based 90% on cosmetics, ending up with what is arguably a less functional plane. Think about a basic unmodified Tri-Pacer too, there are some in Europe.

The Clipper is the unusual but very similar predecessor to the Pacer, distinguished by having stick controls versus yokes. They are in demand.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jun 20:22

Hi Silvaire Yes I want a metallic aircraft if i want to camp :D
You encourage me to the c170A or B it’s good :)
Compare to the Luscombe, the Cessna is more easy and safely I think especially with little
experience.
Thanks for your sharing. :)
Can we see a picture of your bird ? :P

Hi Will !
Yes and the price seems to be high like for the same price it’s possible to find a good c172
I will look for a pacer ;)
Thanks for the landing gear

Ok Robert when i will be in france i buy this book :)

Benzouille
LFTF, LFOW, LFAG, LFAT, LFKA, EGJB, France
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message