Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing distances in POH

Most of us have become very believing in these POHs over the years. But let‘s not forget that they are the product of lawyers and engineers. Not a good mix at all…

Seriously, what has to be remembered is that anything which isn‘t in the POH section „Operating Limitations“ is not, well, an operating limitation.

Of course, after there is an accident, people will start digging into all sections of the POH and find „things“, but that‘s an entirely different story…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Understood, thanks.

These tables seem to be flawed to me to be honest, because they only give you half the picture.

All very well to for example adjust LDR by 10% for each 13 kts of wind but, but when deciding if you can safely land somewhere other factors not taken into account here are even more significant, e.g. weight, speed

What is the legal requirement to obey landing distances for non-commercial operations?

There can‘t be anything like that, because the conditions underlying these tables/numbers (i.e. an exactly 50-feet high obstacle, right at the threshold) never exist in practice. In business speak, one would say it‘s a „KPI“ only…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

lionel wrote:

25% slope is 14.5°.

Sorry a typo 15deg (25deg is 46% slope)

Marsen wrote:

What is the legal requirement to obey landing distances for non-commercial operations?

UK CAA used to slap any book number with 1.41 something any time legal commercial operation is heard and extra factor
For non-commercial everything is left to pilot to decided but there is a POH and guidance for safety factors

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Sep 16:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Ideally, 1:4 (25deg slope) makes me happy !

25% slope is 14.5°.

25° is 42%, approx 1:2.5

Last Edited by lionel at 08 Sep 16:33
ELLX

lionel wrote:

What are the assumptions of pilot behaviour at threshold/50ft for the landing distance in the POH?

Actually, that’s interesting. What are the assumptions of pilot behaviour at threshold/50ft for the landing distance in the POH? That (s)he follows a 3° slope? Cuts power and maintains speed at Vref?

In the above POH, the difference between ground roll and landing distance at SL 0°C is a whopping 1748ft, that is 530m. That must include some distance floating to bleed off airspeed after the flare…

ELLX

lionel wrote:

Which at a 3° slope, is 290m by itself.

Only applicable for those who are flying ILS CAT3B and CAT3C mortals like us stop 3deg slopes at 200ft !
Also, I hope everyone cut throttle over 50ft threshold, with flaps and fly less than Vbg
Then they will can show less than 1:10 glides, so more than 8deg slope

Ideally, 1:4 (25deg slope) makes me happy !
That makes +200ft for 50ft threshold

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Sep 14:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Marsen wrote:

The max take off weight of the aircraft is stated elsewhere at 3050 lbs so why are we given reference landing distances for an impossible weight?

I wouldn’t exclude a typo in the POH.

boscomantico wrote:

Well, remember this is landing distance, not landing roll. So it includes the glide over the famous 50 foot obstacle.

Which at a 3° slope, is 290m by itself.

ELLX
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message