Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Upgrade from E-IR to CB-IR or B-IR: how much effort

No (probably because AFAIK all the UK ones have one end or the other in Class A, which is outside IMCR privileges) but they are trivial – even more trivial than GPS approaches

Got to watch stuff like this however; the custom in Europe is to disregard a minimum/maximum SID/STAR level on the plate and follow ATC instead.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No (probably because AFAIK all the UK ones have one end or the other in Class A, which is outside IMCR privileges)

Actually no – check Scotland. I think you can do a few SIDs from Glasgow join an airway and land at, say, Wick, all outside Class A.

EGTR

EuroFlyer wrote:

Oh, in that respect I couldn’t agree more. The reason I mentioned the Sim was for training purposes only. I totally agree that it‘s critical to fly in a real plane (ideally the one you’re flying yourself) in real IMC. The Sim doesn’t prepare you for that, and there are even IRIs who don’t like to fly in IMC in a small plane, especially in the winter.

Yes nothing beat bumpy IMC in terms of realism and flying with some “brave IRIs” (greedy one who never cancels ), but there are some scenarios that are better practiced in the sim than real life, mostly emergencies (partial panel, unusual attitudes, electrical failures)

I think to keep the procedural picture and quick regain of currency, I found the simulator far more helpful than chair flying or jumping in the soup after 3 month break (at least you know plates and routes in/out) but I do still find myself picking bad habits from the sim (chasing ILS needles with the yoke in gusty days rather than finger tip flying on ASI & VSI with decent power setting)

I also use it anytime planning to go somewhere else in iffy weather, having a view how the place in VMC/IMC in the sim just helps, at least you know airfield elevation or orientation without reading the plate…

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 17:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

and there are even IRIs who don’t like to fly in IMC in a small plane, especially in the winter.

I don’t mind IMC. What I’m not doing is icing or convective conditions in planes either not certified or not equipped.

Fall and winter on a warm day can be better than summer for IMC actually (less tcu/cb/tsra).

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Pirho that wiz wheel jiggery pokery (you need to copyright that phrase!) may have been in fashion for the CPL unplanned diversion component circa 1980’s. Good meat and potatoes stuff but not in the IR. The unplanned CPL diversion these days is VFR, but radio navigation can be used. Purists will be pleased that the first leg of the CPL is deduced reckoning, no feature crawling, no nav aids, and heaven forbid no GPS or moving map. Ideally within a wing span of controlled airspace:)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

The unplanned CPL diversion these days is VFR, but radio navigation can be used.

I can confirm that my CPL skill test recently didn’t require use of a circular slide rule (although I do sometimes hear that the occasional examiner still likes to see them used, but I don’t know if that’s fokelore or not). The diversion leg of the navigation part did allow radio ground aids, but only for position fix and definitely not for tracking. The panel GPS was only used towards the end of the test, allowing a Direct-To back to base.

Agree that spring/autumn can be very good time for IR training given the caveats Snoopy gave. Strong cross winds and at the moment fog can also be factors.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message