Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPL training: listening to the radio

I missed this at the time. In what respect is it different? Better? Worse? What do I have to look forward to?

US ATC tends to speak very fast. They also tend to use “local” phraseology. I can’t actually comprehend much of what I hear on the various videos etc carrying it, but I have flown all over Europe with no issues (other than some ATC speaking no English, or speaking a heavily accented form which – based on the comments I get on my videos – lots of others can’t understand either ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If we are talking France, firstly it depends what you are calling a big airport. If you are talking of Charles de Gaulle, Orly, Nice, Bordeaux Merignac French GA tends to avoid them because of cost and there are usually more economically GA friendly airfields one can choose nearby.
As for friendliness, to GA I have never had a problem with any of them and usually manage a coffee and a chat in the club.

France

US big-airport ATC is – with some exceptions – a million miles away from anything in Europe.

I missed this at the time. In what respect is it different? Better? Worse? What do I have to look forward to?

LFMD, France

IO390 wrote:

I will also try turning up the radio volume a bit as in the PA28 I fly, the intercom is a fair bit louder than the radio.

Definitely get the levels sorted. You are paying a lot of money to fly and there’s no point doing it half-deaf for want of some simple adjustment.

Enough times I’ve been flying with an instructor and when I’m setting up the avionics I check levels for the intercom and radio, they tell me not to bother fiddling with things and let’s go flying. Perhaps people who fly all the time find hearing everything they need to hear very easy, but I prefer to take a few seconds to get the volumes right and ensure everyone can hear what they need to.

Actually during my PPL skills test debrief the examiner, with reference to a zone transit we’d done, started telling me that I couldn’t hear very well because when you are overloaded the first sense to go is your hearing. Of course I smiled and nodded (because he still had to sign the pass form) but actually I was thinking “No, it was because you turned the radio volume down from where I set it, I watched you do it.”

You will always need some adjustment unless it’s the same two people with the same two headsets in the same aeroplane as last time. In some older installations, with some headset combinations, it might not be possible to achieve satisfactory settings – i.e. one of you can be happy with the levels but not both.

EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

US big-airport ATC is – with some exceptions – a million miles away from anything in Europe. I would listen to the local airport on a handheld radio

Which is precisely what I recommended. Snoopy wrote:

Get a scanner and listen to atc for a few weeks during home office (maybe you have an airport nearby)?
always learning
LO__, Austria

US big-airport ATC is – with some exceptions – a million miles away from anything in Europe. I would listen to the local airport on a handheld radio. Then, for Advanced Stage 2, listen to heavily French-accented ATC

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Makes me remember my first few approach clearances. I was already used to the radio but an approach clearance is pretty dense… “96S 4 miles from OOBOO fly heading 320 to intercept the localiser maintain 2500 until established cleared ILS 37R Nowhere”.

“Say again……..???”

(Repeats)

“Say again…..???” (tears starting to form)

Instructor repeats, very slowly.

It gets to be second nature, as someone said there are only a couple of bits of new information in there (probably not even that), it’s a question of filtering out all the rest.

LFMD, France

@io390
Get a scanner and listen to atc for a few weeks during home office (maybe you have an airport nearby)? It helps! You automatically imagine what you would say if you were in the cockpit, maybe you would answer shorter/differently etc.. it works better than chair flying ;)

I listened to JFK ATC via liveatc.net long before I first flew there. When I did, it felt like I’d been there before.

always learning
LO__, Austria

arj1 wrote:

Another magic one is “stand by” when ATC asks you a question. You ARE busy flying an aircraft…

You reminded me of this at 3:07 minutes

“Not ready to copy, I’m flying”. This particular example is not a great demonstration of airmanship but as previous posters mentioned, you are the one who decides if you’re ready to talk or not. Aviate – Navigate – Communicate.

Last Edited by Dimme at 11 Dec 18:14
ESME, ESMS

loco wrote:

Things become easier as one progresses in flying. ATC too.

Do you need RT licence, ELP and “Hertz annual fee” to operate a CPDLC? (I will get my coat )

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Dec 17:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message