Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oral questioning - IRT

Capitaine wrote:

Good luck PilotRobbie!

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Thank you RobertL18C. I might be VFR-only, but formalising this briefing it made me think properly about what I do and don’t do before flight.
Good luck PilotRobbie!

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

So you agree that If I give a very detailed briefing that covers all aspects, to what Robert mentioned. I’ll have no uncomfortable questions from the examiner? Those ones that the teacher in maths class used to ask me ;)

gallois wrote:

Totally agree TEM is about thinking about and planning sensible stuff.
Here when taking the oral test before the flight test we give the briefing Reason for flight, Notams, weather, routing and alternates, fuel, weight and balance etc.. As mentioned in previous posts.
The final part of the brief is TEM all the stuff that could mean a change of plan and by giving the brief you show you have been sensible and planned for it. I gave a few examples from recent tests here but each route, airfield , time of day etc will bring its own threats which perhaps will not have been covered in the briefing. One such here might be an examiner with level 4 ELP and a student with level 6. What language are you going to communicate in? I realise that this wont be an issue in UK or in USA
What OPS are you being tested to NCO or Commercial, there are differences in regulations
At the end of this briefing the examiner will ask some questions. The fuller the briefing the less questions s/he will ask.
Popular questions are such as “15 minutes before arrival at your destination you call the destination airfield for the latest. It gives visibility 2km ceiling at 100ft, what do you do?”
EGSG, United Kingdom

Hi Robert,

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I’ve got an EOBT count back and it’s worked well. The worst we have been is 10 minutes late, but that was with reason and we notified LTCC with 20 minutes notice. But yes agreed, I have heard of some interesting stories of people being late and aircraft not fueled up for the test. When I worked at BA we used to have a critical path, more so for being on time but gave us time sensitivity to complete things.

I’ve already started organising my paperwork and will take a laptop with me on the day as I want an electronic copy, and will print to sign for signatures.

I have most of that already to hand and laminated, there are a few more bits and bobs that I’ll add based on your feedback for the briefing. I’ve heard taking the PBN exam (The old EIR/IR Syllabus doesn’t contain that whereas QB2020 does.) negates the questions on PBN. Is this bs? I’ll definitely look to brush up on my knowledge in those areas but I guess I am already doing it on a regular basis.

If all goes well this weekend and I brush up on a few things flying-wise, and it’s hoped I am forwarded for the test this Sunday with a 170A of today equivalent.

Cheers,
R…
RobertL18C wrote:

@pilotrobbie your IR instructor should be able to help with the prep, and I would ask them to spend time doing so.

Make sure you present yourself on time for the examiner briefing, the adage 80% of success is turning up, is not always observed by the candidates!

The examiner will want to see a well organised presentation in the briefing. Don’t turn up with a scruffy pile of papers. Lay them out logically, ideally in subject folder.

Personal: ID, recommendation to test/ATO course completion, Medical, Licence, RTO

Flight plan and approach bookings, EOBT count back

Tech log: make sure the aircraft is serviceable and you can brief the tech log, MEL and aircraft documents. Again examiner turns up and the candidate is saying at EOBT it needs fuelling, high muppet alert will turn on. Having a clean windscreen will be noted. The examiner on the IR may not have to ask the candidate on systems, as she might on a CPL, but she can ask about antennas, de icing, databases, MEL items.

M&B/Performance: legal requirement and if at CPL standard to include safety factors. The TODR/LDR should also apply to destination and diversion. Have the declared distances from the AIP.

Weather brief: your instructor should brief you on conducting a weather brief, but basically big picture threats (low level sig wx, frontal movement on route), TAF/METAR trend vs minima (SOP and system), RPS for the diversion, crosswind limits

NOTAM: highlight NOTAM risks on diversion OCAS route, ensure obstacle NOTAM on minima is noted, ensure NAV aids are serviceable, AUGUR GPS check

PLOG: Focus on fuel plan and how it is logged, also MEA, DOC for terrestrial nav aids. Candidate has to be able to reconstruct the flight from the PLOG

Approach/Airport briefing: AIP, COMMS failure procedure, Noise abatement, Minima

As you can see unlike the USA, where it is a theory knowledge check, the briefing is mainly allowing the candidate to evidence professional preparation and presentation.

Theory questions tend to be highly practical: calculation of minima (system, precision and non precision), EAT and lost comms either on airways or in the hold, fuel plan, icing (if not FIKI), RNP/PBN checks, RNP mechanics, ILS mechanics, ADF mechanics, altimeter setting on OCAS diversion, RT and ATC.

The UK European IR is highly choreographed, too choreographed by USA standards, so be aware if there is an ATC request or unplanned emergency the candidate is still PICUS and airmanship is required.

I would say all the UK examiners create a good relaxed environment. They probably can tell by the time you reach TOC if you are set fair, or at risk of a partial.

EGSG, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

What OPS are you being tested to NCO or Commercial, there are differences in regulations

Difference that the examiner may not even be aware of if 99% of his exams are with students on the airline pathway, as I found out!

EIMH, Ireland

Totally agree TEM is about thinking about and planning sensible stuff.
Here when taking the oral test before the flight test we give the briefing Reason for flight, Notams, weather, routing and alternates, fuel, weight and balance etc.. As mentioned in previous posts.
The final part of the brief is TEM all the stuff that could mean a change of plan and by giving the brief you show you have been sensible and planned for it. I gave a few examples from recent tests here but each route, airfield , time of day etc will bring its own threats which perhaps will not have been covered in the briefing. One such here might be an examiner with level 4 ELP and a student with level 6. What language are you going to communicate in? I realise that this wont be an issue in UK or in USA
At the end of this briefing the examiner will ask some questions. The fuller the briefing the less questions s/he will ask.
Popular questions are such as “15 minutes before arrival at your destination you call the destination airfield for the latest. It gives visibility 2km ceiling at 100ft, what do you do?”

France

Peter wrote:

IMHO, “TEM” is just a fashionable name for “doing sensible stuff”.

If you wish, but then TEM means “doing sensible stuff” in a structured manner and not just what comes to mind.

When CRM was introduced, lots of pilots said that it was just a fashionable name for the copilot speaking his/her mind. When I first got my license, lot of people still claimed that CRM was about stripping the captain of his (sic!) authority.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Jul 09:21
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

TEM

IMHO, “TEM” is just a fashionable name for “doing sensible stuff”. These fashions come and go… but you have to do what the examiner expects otherwise you will fail.

Some examiners are nice and professional (I had one of those) while some are masochists (I could have had one of those; one FTO FI advised me to call in “sick” if I get him allocated because he spends ~5hrs debriefing people, sometimes finishing at 10pm) and some are downright crazy (I had one of those too but not for the IRT; I won’t identify him because he is probably still alive but he did try to break the nose steering gear by kicking the pedals while stationary, which I got inspected afterwards, and he demanded Southampton to be filed as an alternate for Bournemouth even though the wx will be obviously identical).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@gallois as I mentioned earlier, and this may be just USA and UK examiners, this would be covered as part of the briefing. Different ATOs have different formats for TEM briefs, but the briefing on the destination and diversion would be covered, as it would also be covered again in the top of descent approach brief.

Suggest you start a TEM thread, there have been some. The list can be quite exhaustive of what should be covered and you have missed a few. I was trying to answer what UK examiners (the candidate is in the UK and I probably know all the likely examiners) might expect in the brief from a technical knowledge perspective.

But you are right, wrapping elements of the brief with a TEM context is a good approach.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Threats are not just weather and Notam related, unless you are counting turbulence as weather.
There is also location of the airfield eg if take off or landing would take you out over water.
Here St Brieuc LFRT and Ouessant LFEC are often used for RNP approaches. Both have an RNP approach with water involved but both are very different. On an SEIR test this is one of the threats and the question of whether both examiner and pilot under test should be wearing life jackets or just carrying them in the aircraft becomes a threat that should be discussed.
Similarly landing on an airfield with a lot of trees on approach or buildings and hangars when on wind side of short final there is a threat of heavy turbulence or wind sheer. Haze, mist and fog may not be forecast but could cause a threat late in the day with the final being into the sun.
There are many many more which some examiners may well pick up on.
The examiner usually asks questions based on the flight but some are in the more general practical theory . By that I mean the stuff you have learnt on the practical side of your IR course rather than the stuff you had to do for your theory exam.

Last Edited by gallois at 07 Jul 07:18
France
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message