Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ever heard of having to bring an FI/IRI to a flight with you (in addition to the examiner) ?

This kind of thing (examiner sitting in the back) has been done where the examiner did not have any papers giving him PIC privileges for the aircraft and the flight.

In the UK, this was done with US DPEs who (obviously) did not have JAA papers, but you needed a JAA CPL to do remunerated flights. The practice ended around 15 years ago when there was a crash and somebody (not the DPE) got killed. Then the DPE got killed on another flight soon afterwards. Apparently due to his “size” he was unable to exit the aircraft and it caught fire. The CAA spoke to the FAA and they agreed to end the practice, so it became legal for US DPEs to act as PIC anyway, in the cases where it was actually needed (e.g. an IR test in sub-VFR conditions).

In the UK, all examiners (in GA) have PIC capacity, AFAIK. But there are lots of scenarios where the examiner does not need to be PIC e.g. an IR test in VFR conditions, or an IR test in sub-VFR conditions with the candidate having an IMCR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ha now you’re asking. I believe it was logged in the double command column. On the log books at the time SEP and MEP have columns under the headings PIC and Double command. Night, Instrument flights, IAPs and then a remarks column.

France

Peter wrote:

In the UK, all examiners (in GA) have PIC capacity

Indeed, the majority in UK who are in teaching & examining for IR have done CPL, CRI, IRI in single engine

In France, you have to look very hard to find a place to do CPL in SEP, CRI/SE, IRI/SE (1*ATO for CPL in SEP and 2*ATO for CRI/SE and IRI/SE), everybody else just do their CPL in MEP, CRI/ME, IRIR/ME using the like of DA42

Not many people will fancy IFR in Wassmer CE43

http://www.acop.net/

gallois wrote:

I believe it was logged in the double command column

That make sens then: you were actually flying PUT while the instructor CRI/ME was PIC and examiner CRE/ME was PAX

If examiner was RHS, the student can log PIC after pass !

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 May 11:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

the IRE examiner does not need to be rated, current or assessed in the specific aircraft during the tests for IR, NIR, BIR, EIR

FCL.1000 Examiner certificates

(a) General

Holders of an examiner certificate shall:

(1) hold, unless otherwise determined in this Annex, an equivalent
licence, rating or certificate to the ones for which they are
authorised to conduct skill tests, proficiency checks or assessments
of competence and the privilege to instruct for them;

(2) be qualified to act as PIC in the aircraft during a skill test,
proficiency check or assessment of competence if conducted on the
aircraft.

London, United Kingdom

I stand corrected, so one has to be able to fly PIC but not necessarily act as PIC

Next question, does every IRE have CRI/TRI & CRE/TRE privileges of aircraft class & rating?

Can an examiner do SEIR test in PA28 with SEP & IRE without holding CRI/SE & CRE/SE? can he do SEIR test in PA28 for candidates who hold SET but no SEP rating?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 May 16:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Next question, does every IRE have CRI/TRI & CRE/TRE privileges of aircraft class & rating?

No

Can an examiner do SEIR test in PA28 with SEP & IRE without holding CRI/SE & CRE/SE?

Yes

can he do SEIR test in PA28 for candidates who hold SET but no SEP rating?

No. Candidates who hold SET but not SEP cannot do an IR revalidation in a SEP.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Even if the examiner has the papers to be PIC, he not necessarily needs to be an Instructor as well.

In aircraft where the POH says that the PIC needs to sit in the left seat, the only permissible exception is if an instructor acts as PIC from the right seat. An IRE who is not IRI does not qualify for that even if he is IR-rated and current as PIC.

Germany

Are you sure about that? If an IRE has no IRI then he can’t sit in the right seat?

always learning
LO__, Austria

He can’t if the PIC needs to sit in the left seat by POH.

Germany

Isn’t an examiner a higher category than an instructor?

An exam flight allows PIC time recording for both candidate and examiner. The examiner assesses if the candidate can do all of whatever on their own…

Curious to a source as to where it is written that the POH requirement of the PIC seating location calls for an examiner to also hold instructor ratings.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message