Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wind correction angle advice

As a side question: How often do people fly holds when touring IFR in the Eurocontrol system?

Compared to the other answers I must be unlucky. Have had to hold I think 4 times in the last 3 months. Twice has been in turn for a procedural approach (Oxford and Cambridge, been lucky with Southend at night where I always seem to be number 1 and go straight outbound), once at Birmingham at CHASE while waiting for them to turn the ILS around, and another time somewhere else while waiting to see if the RVR was going to get better than 400m (it didn’t).

Edit: Didn’t realise the system for quoting had changed?

Last Edited by Pirho at 21 Nov 13:55
United Kingdom

As a side question: How often do people fly holds when touring IFR in the Eurocontrol system?

I think Cambridge and Southend especially are big fans of holds. I have done relatively small numbers of IAP, but on the occasions I have done approaches at both without having asked to hold for training purposes, I have been put into a hold.

More often that not, it’s every time I have to do an IMCr renewal, which doesnt require you to demonstrate holds unless asked to by ATC. Im sure my CFI rings up the airfield to tell them were coming and to put us into a hold anyhow!

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message