Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Validation/Translation of an FAA PPL

Hi,

I’ve seen some posts about validating an EASA or JAR license in the US, but none the other way around. Please correct me if i’m wring

I live and study in Sweden, but have an FAA PPL. The rules in Sweden will change on the 8:th of April, in order to conform to the rest of Europe. I’ve read through the Swedish translation of what the new EASA rules will mean, and it seems that I need a minimum of 100 hours for either validation or conversion of my licence. I’m allowed to fly in Sweden at the moment, but I lack 100 hours, and I will not have time or money to get it before the 8th of april. I’d like to know what your thoughts on this is, and if anybody has any experience with this validation/conversion. Do you think there is any chance that I will get “grandfathered” in, since I have a FAA licence with experience in Sweden?

Edit: Changed translation to conversion, (thinking in Swedish again..)

Last Edited by CptStubbs at 28 Dec 23:44
LuleƄ Kallax

Validation and translation (I assume you mean conversion by this) are two different things.

I have done a few validations and one conversion, so here goes:

A validation gives you the temporary right to fly airplanes of the state that issues the validation. The requirements here vary from country to country. Typically you need to sit an air law exam and do a check flight. These things then are valid for anything from 90 days to a year (or more), depending on country and circumstances. I do not know if JAR or EASA have any provision for this, let alone if Sweden has one. Mine were all outside Europe. You really need to ask the Swedish CAA (or whatever they are called there). This typically grants yo the same privileges as your FAA ticket.

A conversion means that your FAA license is converted to a Swedish-issued JAR or EASA license. Again, I don’t know the Swedish details, here in the UK you need(ed) 100 hours (I think 100 hours PIC, but may be wrong there, could be 100 hours total) and had to do an air law and human factors exam. Also the RT license and a check flight with an examiner. Btw, because of the night requirements in the FAA PPL, the night qualification is automatically included in this case. This route then gives you a standalone JAR / EASA license, it is NOT based on your FAA ticket.

What I don’t know is how EASA are dealing / will be dealing with all this. I would call the Swedish CAA and ask – and hope they know!

Last Edited by 172driver at 28 Dec 23:40

Thanks for your info, I will call them ASAP.

Also, yes I did mean conversion. Changed it in the original post, thanks!

LuleƄ Kallax

You may find the following UK document of interest Link
Essentially, it states that the EU regulation is to be amended to 8th April 2015 giving you another year to acquire the 100 hours.

Do you think there is any chance that I will get “grandfathered” in, since I have a FAA licence with experience in Sweden?

No, you will have to comply with the new regulation.

If you can find an Annex II aircraft (i.e. non EASA) you may be able to continue to fly with your FAA PPL if the Swedish CAA allows that. This is the case in the UK.

Andreas IOM
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message