Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero training

Hello – I’d like to pursue aerobatic flight training in the UK, with the eventual goal of attaining an EASA aerobatic rating. I intend to obtain an AOPA aerobatic certificate which will then be converted to the EASA rating as per CAP804. I have a couple of questions:

1) AOPA provides certification to three different levels (basic, standard and intermediate). Which certificate is sufficient for conversion into the EASA rating? Is the basic certificate sufficient?

2) Does the AOPA course cover the minimum theoretical knowledge as outlined in AMC1 FCL800?

3) I have already converted my JAR FCL into an EASA FCL. Do I therefore still qualify for a conversion of aerobatic privileges into an EASA rating through the UK CAA (which is my state of issue)? In addition to the completion of the AOPA/BAeA course, the conversion process only requires a candidate to have “received the theoretical knowledge specified in AMC No 1 to FCL.800” – it does not have any minimum flight-time specifications. EASA however specifically requires a minimum of 40hrs P1 time, in addition to a training course at an ATO.

4) Are there any organisations or instructors who will be willing to bring me through the relevant training in an expedited period of ~1wk next month? I am currently based outside the UK, and will hence be making special travel arrangements to complete the training in the UK in late June.

Many thanks in advance.

Contact Adrian Willis ( http://www.britishaerobaticacademy.com) he’s a friend of mine

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

In case anyone else is interested:

1) Basic AOPA Certificate is fine.

2) Yes it covers the required syllabus.

3) It’s free to add the aero rating at the same time as license conversion but doing it later may incur the £89 fee. You don’t need the 40 hours PIC after license issue if you are adding this rating now.

A ‘+1’ for contacting Adrian Willis if you are in the South East area of the UK. I flew with him in the Extra 200 when we were both based at the same airfield, and he is a really nice person (ex RAF) and very relaxed as an instuctor. Sadly for me, I felt sick for the remainder of the day, but then again I felt sick once doing recovery from unusual attitudes in a PA28, so aero’s just arent my thing.

Getting through the course (8 hours plus long briefs) in a week may be a challenge, in part due to vagaries of UK autumn weather, cue John Keats.

You typically cover one to two manoeuvres per sortie and as you progress you are using the lesson to practice these. So later lessons are spent more on practice, so perhaps learning another manoeuvre in each lesson.

You also have to learn to build a sequence, initially in pairs, but building up to the five figure sequence for the certificate. Typical sequences can be found on the AOPA UK site, e.g. quarter clover, stall turn, half Cuban, loop, slow roll. While not in a box, you would need to demonstrate a reasonable line and ending each manoeuvre on speed, heading and altitude.

The course will also demonstrate departures from controlled flight (unintentional ones, that is) and how to recover from them. Hence not short changing the time for long briefings.

You need a decent 3,500 foot ceiling and good visibility, and part of the course involves precision spinning, which in turns needs a 5,500 foot ceiling.

In the London area Stapleford provides the course in a T67M, White Waltham in a Pitts S2.

The list of providers can be found at

http://www.aopa.co.uk/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&id=94&Itemid=861

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message