Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I can file!

I didn’t get asked to do that on my test and if I did not sure I could do it quickly in the air on a 430 either. Just bad luck but in any event doesn’t matter now you have the ticket!

EGTK Oxford

Jason,

are you ever coming back?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Oh, I messed up a couple of other things as well, Jason. It wasn’t just the airway..

Adam, didn’t we all. But again a pass is a pass now.

Bosco, no. Flying is too good here! Yes in two weeks we start back. Has been a great trip.

EGTK Oxford

Congrats! Well done.

As a side note, how much work is needed to convert an EASA IR to FAA IR?

Adam congratulations – the FAA are not keen on rote learning so well done on getting an IR in your 601.

Some DPE might drag out the oral over a couple of days, so hopefully yours wasn’t such a marathon! For EASA candidates I expect prepping for the oral is the first hurdle. Lots of scenario discussions (lost comms, icing, low level wind shear, engine failure, other system failures), approach plate discussions, filing procedures/duats/notam, airspace, etc

Some profile rides include steep turns, approach to stall, emergency descent, limited panel approaches all under the hood – some of which are not required by EASA.

The emergencies are also more varied Stateside. If you have an ADF the examiner will be surprised you haven’t sticker’d it INOP, but any radio nav in the aircraft will be tested as an approach, which may make the test longer than EASA.

I sometimes feel EASA is looking for a well choreographed Bolshoi performance of a set piece, while the USA and Canada want to see a proper understanding of the system under different scenarios – and then cover a bunch of other scenarios in the oral.

As for our (UK) fetish for the NDB hold, the FAA PTS only requires 30 seconds established on the QDM, they don’t care the proverbial rats **** if you took up the hold using a half Cuban! well perhaps a bit.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message