Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yesterday afternoon I passed the skill test for the CBM IR. With the new regulations I was able to take the test with only 13.9 hours of ATO training!

There seem to be quite a few myths around the IR training and test regime – Jim Thorpe who taught me suggested I post to debunk some of them…

• There are schools which are prepared to be flexible, fitting training into short high-intensity periods, giving you time to check your work emails between sorties and going out of their way to fit around your needs. In the UK, Booker and Rate One are already approved for CBM IR training. PAT in Bournemouth are expecting approval soon, and I am sure there are others as well.
  • The examiners are not looking for slavish parroting of airline style checks – they want to see ‘evidence of system’ (in the words of another examiner).
  • While NDB tracking is required if the equipment is fitted and working, there are some routes that can be flown without it, so you can still take a test if you don’t have one. Even at Gloucester, I was given the option of an RNAV or NDB approach.
  • Perfect NDB holds with gates are not a requirement (in particular, you don’t need to be established inbound for some arbitrary n seconds). I did a single hold, of reasonable quality, in a 20kt+ wind.
  • Partial panel no longer requires a turn/slip indicator. You can use whatever backup instruments are installed in your aircraft.
  • The whole UK issue with screens vs hoods/foggles has gone away. There was no discussion – I used a hood.
  • The standard of flying required is of course pretty high: I doubt I will ever be as good as the two days before my test. Your radio also needs to be excellent (I think mine was good by the standard of private pilots, but it still needed a lot of brushing up).
  • The UK CAA skill test and rating application forms are not yet perfect. There are some obvious typos and couple of real mistakes.
  • Some care is needed in calculating the hours credited from previous instruction and experience – the rules are not obvious.
  • As an IMCr holder, even with enough logbook hours, I would not assume you can complete in the minimum 10 hours at an ATO. Quite a lot of time was needed to unlearn bad habits and relearn a good system of checks and threat/error management. Taking the training and test in one’s own aircraft could work both ways – there were a few things I had to change in my flying.

To summarise: training is available to fit around your work commitments, provided you are current in instrument flying the ATO training is doable in two or three long weekends, the test is for the most part reasonable, and you can use your own aeroplane without too much hassle.

EGEO

Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

Can I ask where did you do the theory course ? I enquired around and, predictably, FTOs have been advising I follow the “old” 150 hours IR course or even the ATPL course… whereas the CBM theory is supposed to be around 80 hours.

I actually did the old-style theory last year with CATS. I hear the new style theory courses should be approved in the next few weeks.

EGEO

Great report, and actually looks like a fair approach to everything was took, which on it’s own is encouraging. Did you learn in your own aircraft, and I assume it’s the TB10 in your profile, so did it have a GNS430 or something like that? What sort of altitude was you expected to fly to join airways where you took the test?

Did you learn in your own aircraft, and I assume it’s the TB10 in your profile, so did it have a GNS430 or something like that?

Yep, I used my TB10 – she has a GTN650 and an Aspen. The Aspen in particular makes a huge difference.

EGEO

Great report. I’m currently waiting for the new theory course.
What was the bad habits you had to unlearn? and how many hours have you used you IMCr?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Thanks for the great report, jwoolard.

Has the issue with the CAA adding the “new” IR onto the license now been resolved? I recall reading something about this around the place but didn’t really follow it.

Were you allowed to have sight of the GPS (officially I mean) the whole time? Being allowed to look at the GPS (officially) makes the flying of holds in particular dead easy.

Some care is needed in calculating the hours credited from previous instruction and experience – the rules are not obvious.

Was this an issue with the interpretation of “IFR time”?

I see you did the old JAA IR (7) exams. It will be interesting to see the theory course when it comes out. In particular I wonder whether the study material which GTS make you do the homework on will still be the 1950s RAF-discarded stuff I had in 2011, or something more relevant.

I should also ask Jim to return my window screens Not that anybody is going to need them…

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Aug 09:05
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interesting that this is the first true CB-IR test I have heard about (ie not a non-EU ICAO IR conversion)….especially great since the CAA originally said they wouldn’t be able to take CBIR flight tests until September….Great news

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I thought the whole point is that there is no such thing as a CB-IR Test as distinct from an IR Test. The difference is only the training course, the test is supposed to be the same, is it not?

Well done jwoolard

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I thought the whole point is that there is no such thing as a CB-IR Test as distinct from an IR Test. The difference is only the training course, the test is supposed to be the same, is it not?

You’re right, there is no difference in the test. For the 3rd party ICAO conversion the only change is an additional oral exam.

Was this an issue with the interpretation of “IFR time”?

No, it’s just that the way the regulations break down the hours (instruction by an IR holder, instruction by a non-IR holder etc) needs careful analysis. You cannot necessarily credit all your hours (although in my case it turned out I could credit nearly all of them). It is worth reading the original text of the regulations and carefully building a spreadsheet of one’s hours in each category.

Were you allowed to have sight of the GPS (officially I mean) the whole time? Being allowed to look at the GPS (officially) makes the flying of holds in particular dead easy.

No, this was removed for the initial departure, the hold and the approach. We were actually hit by the current GPS jamming NOTAM in the enroute segment … that’s a whole other story.

What was the bad habits you had to unlearn?

Checks (demonstrating good threat/error management in a ‘systematic’ way) and radio for the most part. Also I haven’t flown a raw NDB approach without GPS since I passed my IMCr. I reckon a total of 6-7 hours was spent on the NDB (tracking, holds and approaches).

and how many hours have you used you IMCr?

I have 20 something hours of sole ref time since passing my IMCr two years ago.

EGEO
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message