Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exams: CPL only (13) versus ATPL (14, now 13)

@MarkW wrote:

by contrast, the full IR exams provide CPL cross-credit for Human Performance and Met).

Are you sure of that ? As I have a full-IR, that would be 2 certificates… Plus COM as Ibra said ? I sounds too good to be true.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 16 Dec 20:52

If not impolite, what do you go this way for ?

Less time for flying and more time for reading (also looking to do my FI and felt CPL and ATPL would be the same)

Sorry to hear for you job, good luck !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Are you sure of that

Yes, see Regulation (EU) 2020/359 and Part FCL at page 1121:

Applicants for the issue of a CPL having passed the relevant theoretical knowledge examinations for an IR in the same category of aircraft are credited towards the
theoretical knowledge requirements in human performance and meteorology unless they have completed the IR training course in accordance with Appendix 6, Section Aa, to this Annex (Part-FCL). [the “unless…” part refers to CB-IR theory exams]

Last Edited by MarkW at 17 Dec 09:55
FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

Plus COM as Ibra said

It appears so:

Applicants for a CPL having passed the relevant theoretical knowledge examinations for an IR or EIR in the same category of aircraft are credited towards the theoretical knowledge requirements in the communications subject.

IFR comms is an exam which is impossible to fail anyway – except for the fact that with only about 3 questions (I am kidding) you can easily get unlucky on the day and fail it.

But then all this stuff is designed not to implant relevant knowledge but to merely separate the real men from the goats, while making it hard for “undesirable characters” to reach an airliner cockpit (an openly stated objective of the European IR system). Even Mr Atta, who IIRC did have a CPL, didn’t get into the cockpit legitimately, although Germanwings showed that there are pretty effective workarounds…

These credits seem to change quite often. I heard there is even a credit somewhere for Met – that would actually be useful since Met is a lot of stuff to memorise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had missed your answer @MarkW after the topic was merged. Thank you for the references !
That’s quite good news.
It would be mean 10 certificates out of the 13.
I’m meditating.. I don’t plan to be an airline pilot, so ATPL may be just overkill in my case.
With such credit inherited from IR, CPL could be interesting trade-off. (I suppose ATPL theory cannot benefit from such credit ??)

Clearly, instruction would be what gives sense for me. Without CPL TK, you are severely limited to LAPL, so CPL + FI maybe a good thing. Plus one can get IR extension to FI, provided he has 250h of IFR flying. So a nice combination.

I suppose ATPL theory cannot benefit from such credit ??

The IR exams will only get you a cross-credit for Communications at ATPL(A) level:

3.5. Applicants for the issue of an ATPL(A) having passed the relevant theoretical examination for an IR are credited towards the theoretical knowledge requirements in the subject Communications’.

Plus one can get IR extension to FI, provided he has 250h of IFR flying

I believe an FI can obtain the IRI bolt-on with 200 IFR hours (it is 800 IFR hours without FI). From Part FCL:

“… have flown at least 200 hours flight time under IFR, of which up to 50 hours may be instrument ground time in a FFS, FTD 2/3 or FNPT II.”

I believe an FI can obtain the IRI bolt-on with 200 IFR hours (it is 800 IFR hours without FI).

This is a bit of a digression but what is the difference between

• an IRI without FI
  • an IRI with FI

as far as privileges go? AIUI, you can log up to 30hrs towards the CB IR with an IRI. In reality there are very few IRIs around, presumably because of the 800hr IFR requirement, but one would think there would be quite a few more because there are plenty of FIs working in “ATPL schools”. Can an IRI without FI be overtly paid?

I too thought only IFR Comms gets credited. Lots of people have been up this road.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is no difference in privileges – only the prerequisites to do the course. If someone who does not hold an FI certificate does the IRI course they will get a stand-alone IRI certificate. If an FI does the IRI course, the privileges get added to their FI certificate.

Stand-alone IRIs can charge, including without holding a CPL if they hold a PPL – there are a number of senior instructors around teaching for the IR that have dropped to Class 2 medicals now.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

I’m an EASA PPL/IR and I am also considering doing the CPL, mostly as a prerequisite for a future FI rating. Given I have an FAA commercial as well and a lot of hours, the flying part seems easy, so embarking on the theory first, 10 subjects it seems.

Does anyone have experience with training providers and question banks for the EASA exams? I used CATS for my IR and they were fine and seem good value for money. Orbit Ground School in the Netherlands also seem good but twice as expensive.

Would be grateful for your views.

EHLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message