Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exams: CPL only (13) versus ATPL (14, now 13)

Completely mad.
I passed the FAA CPL without any revision; paid $90. Tough checkride.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

ATPL – 650hrs of theory self-study
CPL – 250hrs
IR – 160hrs
CBIR – 80hrs

Having redone the IR theory (as self-study) under EASA rules in 2013, I don’t believe the 160 hr figure. It is much higher. My estimate is that IR = 0.75 * ATPL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

arj1 wrote: ATPL – 650hrs of theory self-study CPL – 250hrs IR – 160hrs CBIR – 80hrs

Having redone the IR theory (as self-study) under EASA rules in 2013, I don’t believe the 160 hr figure. It is much higher. My estimate is that IR = 0.75 * ATPL.

Sorry, did you mean 0.75*ATPL or .075*CPL?
Because normally, it was supposed to be IR=CBIR+HPA.
So if you say that IR is way more than CPL, then, well, that would be interesting!

EGTR

The 650/500/400/250/160/80 hours are standard time allocations for different theory courses. They include consultation (classroom) time and selfstudy time.

In case of my ATPL650 it was 66 hours classroom time, 500 hours just to go through all the questions learning and understanding the stuff and than quite some more time going over the ones I flagged. Estimating 1000 hours all together.

Last Edited by Destinatus at 28 Jan 10:06
Prague
Czech Republic

arj1 wrote:

So if you say that IR is way more than CPL, then, well, that would be interesting!

In terms of learning material, yes. But that’s eyeballing it. I haven’t actually counted the learning objectives. So I may be entirely wrong…

The Euro IR is much harder than the Euro CPL in flying terms (the Euro CPL is just some deliberately antique VFR flying with an FI in the RHS) but the theory is probably the other way round.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The Euro IR is much harder than the Euro CPL in flying terms (the Euro CPL is just some deliberately antique VFR flying with an FI in the RHS) but the theory is probably the other way round.

Really? The complaints about the EASA IR that I’ve heard have always been about the theoretical knowledge.

This has been done before in many threads but basically, yes, people “with a life” complain most about the 7 exams, and the surrounding “establishment structures”, but the flight training, 50hrs or so of it, is similarly stitched up, having to be done via an FTO. The latest route, CBIR, has the big “freelance time” concession but few people can make use of it, because there are so few IRIs or FI/IRs.

I must not let myself get far off topic because the whole thread then goes off

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This has been done before in many threads but basically, yes, people “with a life” complain most about the 7 exams, and the surrounding “establishment structures”, but the flight training, 50hrs or so of it, is similarly stitched up, having to be done via an FTO. The latest route, CBIR, has the big “freelance time” concession but few people can make use of it, because there are so few IRIs or FI/IRs.

That has changed, especially in the last year or two.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

the flight training, 50hrs or so of it,

40 hours.

Sign in to add your message