Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Exams: CPL only (13) versus ATPL (14, now 13)

An HPA course should not be £1000.

HPA is 30 hours of distance learning, plus 2 days in the classroom, and an exam.

I did it last week.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

May I ask where you did it, Neil?

Was it CATS? What was the experience like?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes it was CATS and I would recommend them. The course is taught in a practical way and the amount of study required is well targeted, so if you actually cover the topics you will pass the exam (which is in-house).

The HPA syllabus is not that extensive, and is a small subset of ATPL learning objectives.

I’m just coming to the end of my CPL training with CATS and would also recommend them. They’ve been consistently helpful and I like their pragmatic approach.

Bordeaux

As I read Tumbleweeds post then my completed FAA ATP Theory won’t help me here to bypass the HPA-requirement?

I have already spoken to Cats and they seem pro and solid. I’ll properly go there.

FD

Float Driver

As I read Tumbleweed’s post

it says exactly that the FAA ATP exam pass will give you the HPA entitlement.

A ground school course is a waste of a life… hanging out at some B&B and eating crap for a week. Been there and done that… avoid if you can.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

May I correct you on one point. There is a Hilton Garden Inn immediately opposite CATS Luton training office. It’s not a rubbish B&B, and for a 2 day HPA course I survived the food just fine.

Hi

In 2011-2012, I went for the full EASA IR, passing the 7 certificates plus training in an ATO.

Now, I consider training for CPL. I wonder if I should go for CPL theory (13 exams) or ATPL (14 exams) theory.
Is there a significant difference in the quantity of informations to swallow ?

Also (even if I think I know the answer): what about the 7 certificates I passed 10 years ago ? It seems I must restart from scratch.

Thank you for your input.

When I was looking into this, I was told ATPL is about 30% more material than CPL+IR. I decided to go for it because I usually have no problem learning and because I considered everything I knew more to be an advantage, whatever I would fly later.

Concerning the exams you already passed, they are not valid and you have to do everything again. In the ATPL exam there are also parts of PPL, so it includes everything, no matter you have before.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I remember from 20 years ago that there was not much difference. Added are aspects related to high altitude/jet flying. I did my CPL just out of interest to learn more and increase my skills, and when I heard that changing to ATPL (theory part only) was not a big thing, that seemed fun to do.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message