Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

Congrats, and well done.
Re Swiss ATC, I largely have to agree. It‘s usually a pesky bunch, as demonstrated here once again.

BTW, why didn‘t you convert your FAA IR to a full EASA IR (via the CB route)? This is quite easy and straightforward (well, in Germany, at least… )

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Oct 06:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wasn’t one of the improvements to mode-S, that the broadcasted FL is now +/- 25 feet, instead of +/- 100 feet for the older mode-C?

How come you have he EIR (vs regular IR)and FAA IR? Did you do both standalone? Did you don’t have enough hours to convert (or proficiency to pass a full IR test)?

ArcticChiller wrote:

I hold an FAA IR and converted to an EIR more than a year ago.

I think his statement is pretty clear, he didn’t convert to full IR, he had full IR to begin with.

ESME, ESMS

Indeed it was realised at the start that ATC will not know anything about the EIR (without extra training, which won’t happen because basically nothing is one for GA; the “system” exists for airlines) and will treat IFR pilots as having the full IR.

The same issue exists in the UK with the IMCR but

• few of the pilots file IFR flight plans because the ones which Eurocontrol validates tend to be way too high and go into Class A, which is not allowed on the IMCR
  • London Control did get a few of these situations, resulting in mayhem when ATC asked for a heading or a climb into Class A and the pilot rightly refused, and apparently implemented some measures to make sure it doesn’t happen again, starting with silently chucking out flight plans which spend no (or too little) time in Class A

Re the transponder, that is some ATCO having had a bad night Yes Mode S sends 25ft increments but they don’t see that on their radar, and anyway the tolerance is 200ft (generally – not for a UK Class A CAS bust ).

The EIR is a good tool for specific situations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Assuming you have 50h pic on your IR, you can convert full ICAO IR to full EASA IR instead of EASA EIR, with identical hassle

It seems to me the second route has only downsides and no upsides and it is there only for “regulatory consistency”, I doubt anyone with 50h pic will go for an EIR, or is there a good reason for it?

Peter wrote:

and will treat IFR pilots as having the full IR.

Probably, will also treat your aircraft as being heavy IMC & real IFR equipped, this one will require even more training and planing for them

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Oct 08:34
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

BackPacker wrote:

Wasn’t one of the improvements to mode-S, that the broadcasted FL is now +/- 25 feet, instead of +/- 100 feet for the older mode-C?

The improvement is that you can use an encoder with 25 ft resolution, but you don’t have to. (At least not in a SEP…)

My club has at least two aircraft with mode S and 100 ft encoders. (I’m not sure about the G1000 C172S.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Oct 09:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t quite have the 50h IFR PIC for the CB-IR. I’ll just fly some hours IFR and then take the CB-IR skill test. Another way would’ve been to go back to the USA for some hour building but that didn’t fit my schedule. At least I won’t have to do all those theoretical exams. ;-)

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 24 Oct 11:07

Sorry to high-jack the topic, how one goes about logging IFR PIC time on EASA EIR or IRR tickets before going via CBIR? any hard-coded rules or just do your best guest of the time you were flying IFR?

None of this would apply to someone with an ICAO IR on his national aircraft regs

Say,
- For an IRR, you depart IFR from the UK and mid-channel you switch VFR to France, so just log that first leg?
- For an EIR, you depart VFR and land VFR, you will guess and log any IFR pieces in the middle?

Probably, I am just over complicating it, but Night/Multi flying time is much simpler to measure

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

For me it is simple. As there is not enough room to reasonably fly IFR outside controlled airspace in my country, I am always on a flight plan and IFR tells me when IFR starts and I tell them when I cancel. In France/UK etc. with lots of class G airspace I would count it from the point where the enroute phase of the flight starts (cruising altitude* and on a certain course).
*Analogue to the fact that I cannot accept any SIDs or STARs under IFR.

Sign in to add your message