Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

Pehu wrote:

I decided to go full IR theories (as I couldnt find suitable EIR theory package that had proper distance learning schedules for me) and I can do them here in Finland.

You could do a distance learning CBIR theory course from any EASA country. That would require you one visit to said country for the classroom part (8 hours), and another one to sit the exams. But to me, that seems to be less onerous than doing the old IR theory.

Pehu wrote:

Can I complete CBIR with just a teacher or do I need to enroll to a school that offers CBIR?

That is heresy! An individual is worth nothing in EASA land, you will always need an ATO (=school) at least for the final parts of a CBIR (like 15 hours). How else could the instructor be supervised and managed, and who would supervise the supervisor. And the supervisor’s supervisor also needs a manager.

Pehu wrote:

Maybe on option would be to fly with my own plane in Sweden?

Yes, you should ask around for a school willing to do the final 15 hours with you on your own plane. You could then start out doing 30 hours with an instrument instructor on your plane in Finland outside of an ATO, and do the final 15 hours with the ATO. The hard part will be to find an ATO willing to do this. They will all push very hard for you to do the whole course fully with them. When I was shopping around for an ATO, they all sounded like I insulted their grandmother when I proposed solutions like this.

If you find an ATO that is willing to go this route, do publish it here. I am sure they will get a lot of business.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 25 May 15:47

Thanks. This clarified a lot.

I also thought I need to sit the theory classroom and exams in the same country. Darn. Ah well, full IR course already bought and started studying. Can’t be that bad :-)

I’ll try to find some way of doing the flying.

Flying Finn living in Switzerland.
LSZL LOcarno, Switzerland

Rwy20 wrote:

You could then start out doing 30 hours with an instrument instructor on your plane in Finland outside of an ATO, and do the final 15 hours with the ATO

Just to clarify: The SE-CB-IR requires 40 hrs. of training, so you only need to fly 10 hrs. within an ATO.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Rwy20 wrote:

If you find an ATO that is willing to go this route, do publish it here. I am sure they will get a lot of business.

If you’re looking for an ATO in Sweden, I would try the flying club in Linköping (to my knowledge the only club in Sweden to offer IR training). Being a nonprofit club they have a rather different outlook. I renewed my IR with them after a 18 year lapse and they were very flexible and good to work with.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

tschnell wrote:

Just to clarify: The SE-CB-IR requires 40 hrs. of training, so you only need to fly 10 hrs. within an ATO.

True, I remembered that wrong. 45 hours would be the minimum for an ME-CB-IR, but also with only a minimum of 10 hours in an ATO.

Though you have to take that as “a minimum of 10 hours”, i.e. the ATO may decide that you need more when they assess you before you start the final part with them. Here is the full reference.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 25 May 20:22

Pehu wrote:

I decided to go full IR theories (as I couldnt find suitable EIR theory package that had proper distance learning schedules for me)

Isn’t the theory package for EIR and CBIR identical? What do you mean by full IR theory?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Maybe the JAA IR 7 exams?

The CB IR exams are reduced and don’t count towards HPA, which is of no consequence to most GA pilots.

I don’t think many FTOs still do the original 7 but I do know some people still do them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Progress has been slow, but today I passed my last TK exam. Still have to get it in writing, but it seems done! I’ve got 25 trainig hours under my belt now and I need to pick that up again, as I – again – have been dealing with some maintenance issues with the Mooney lately, but that too has now been sorted. With work and the family, it turns out to be quite the long road to the EIR (CB/IR).

Last Edited by Bobo at 06 Jun 11:46
EHTE, Netherlands

There is light in the end of the tunnel. It sounds like you are making progress and now you have only the fun part left. Keep it up!

LFPT, LFPN

Bobo wrote:

With work and the family, it turns out to be quite the long road to the EIR (CB/IR).

Fully agreed, it’s quite some effort. Coincidentally I just posted my experiences a couple of days ago. Do you already train in Rotterdam?

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message