Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

Hi Bobo,

Which theory course are you taking? Can you upgrade to the full IR without having to sit all the exams again?

Where are you planning to do the practical course? AFAIK the only school in NL that offers EIR / CB is Singles&Twins @ EHLE ?

In Air Law I had a question on light signals, which is not mentioned in the notes or QB.

Very interesting. If we can all share these tips it will be valuable

Last Edited by pmh at 07 Jan 14:10
pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

That’s not true. I don’t know about any others, but the school that I charter from (FFL in EDLE) offers the course as of December. Here’s their Facebook announcement:

That’s very good news! I thought the LBA planned to take much longer to certify the first courses.

@Bobo Are you using some kind of online/offline training program which is specifically adapted to the CB IR/EIR question catalogue?

EDAV, Germany

@Andi yes, they say they are the first school in continental Europe with an approved syllabus for the EIR/CB-IR route, it uses the ‘distance-learning’ concept with a brush-up week in-house before the exams. @lenthamen there are more schools in the process of becoming an approved ATO, one of them is based at Teuge (EHTE), my home airfield. Should their approval fall through, I would be flying at Singles & Twins. I plan on completing the theory before commencing flight training, I hope by then the flightschool of my choice will have the affairs in order. I am taking the specified theory-course for the EIR, from what I understand is that after passing for the EIR, I can later proceed with CB-IR without having to do the written exams again.

Last Edited by Bobo at 07 Jan 14:59
EHTE, Netherlands

I am taking the specified theory-course for the EIR, from what I understand is that after passing for the EIR, I can later proceed with CB-IR without having to do the written exams again.

I’m not 100% sure whether you can upgrade to CB-IR without doing the CB-IR theory.
To avoid disappointment, I would give ILenT (Dutch CAA) or KIWA a call and get this written in black and white.

Good luck with your IR training! I can highly recommend S&T; best IR instructor you can get there is Freek Hoogeveen.

The CB IR and E IR theory is the same. So after completing the theory you can still choose whether yuo want to go for the CB or E IR. But both CB and E IR theory is less workload than the normal IR.

EDAV, Germany

The CB IR and E IR theory is the same.

I was confused about it as the mentioned TK school is offering the two as different courses; see http://www.orbit-groundschool.nl/en/for-pilots/price-overview/

That price seems expensive to me €2,500 Euros for IR TK.

The going rate for the old full IR TK used to be around £1000, so half that – from UK companies such as CATS and GTS.
It might be worthwhile looking around for comparison but I don’t know if this causes issues or is possible if taking exams in a different country from the course provider.

I also believe the same TK course and exams apply for both EIR and CB-IR. Its a subset of the old, larger IR theory course and learning objectives.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

INSTITUT MERMOZ in LFPO had its CB-IR TK syllabus certified in Sept. 2014. They claim they were the first in France.
Price is 1.2k€
It is mainly based on CBT.

LFLY, France

In Sweden, Linköping Flying Club (noncommercial) offers IR TK for EUR 1.3k + books. It’s all classroom instruction.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message