Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The EIR - beginning to end

The CTR probably brings a lower MRVA which is good for what you want. DFS will take you as soon as/until you’re at the MRVA. You can get inside the CTR with Special VFR btw.

You’re a bit too strict with these “500ft missing” regularities. That does not play a role in reality especially since it can only be judged from the cockpit. As soon as you start flying IFR and doing Z/Y, you will eventually stop caring too much about the actual ceilings and you will for sure find a lot of “between the layers”, just like Z/Y IFR in Germany has been working for decades…

Last Edited by achimha at 14 Dec 18:27

That does not play a role in reality

That’s what I was referring to. The only thing one is interested in during a Zulu departure is if the weather conditions are sufficient for the Flugleiter to allow you to take off.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

At a VFR aerodrome, an EIR pilot is in exactly the same position as an IR pilot. Ask Essen how they normally handle IFR departures and arrivals — they probably have well established procedures.

I don’t understand this either. The minima for VFR and IFR are very clear, and at the point where you switch from VFR to IFR, both minima has to be fullfilled. This will require a rather high ceiling. Add some mountains and stuff to this, and the whole thing gets very complicated due to the higher alt required for flying near high terrain.

NVFR has a similar problem because of the IFR en route alt requirements, but is saved by the clause “except when landing or taking off”. EIR has no such clause, take off and landing has to be done according to VFR regulations. Only the en route part can be done IFR.

Last Edited by LeSving at 14 Dec 19:27
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The road to the EIR begins

Having weighed the pro’s and con’s of the EIR and IR I’ve opted for the EIR and today I signed up for the theoretical part of the course. Excited to start learning! I’ll keep you posted and maybe ask a few questions here and there.

EHTE, Netherlands

I have started the same – but are aiming for the IR. The TK is though the same.
Have started with Caledonian Flight Training on their distance learning – and signed up on aviationexam.com
Have yesterday passed the progress test for the Human performance.
Where have you signed up?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Nice! Thats also my objective for 2016. 2015 I will use to collect a few more flying hours and besides that there is no ATO in Germany ATM with a certified EIR course.
I guess you already have a few hours in your book(s)?

EDAV, Germany

I’ve signed up with orbit groundschool and it too is distance learning. Maybe later I’ll proceed with the CB IR. Currently I’ve logged some 150 hours, not that much yet.

EHTE, Netherlands

I’ll keep you posted

That will be very interesting to read your feedback on this!

and besides that there is no ATO in Germany ATM with a certified EIR course.

That’s not true. I don’t know about any others, but the school that I charter from (FFL in EDLE) offers the course as of December. Here’s their Facebook announcement:

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I’m also with CAPT and Aviation Exam. Sat HP and Air Law exams at Gatwick end of of December and passed, I wanted to go to Oxford but all dates full. I thought AvEx reflected the Air Law very well but not the HP. In Air Law I had a question on light signals, which is not mentioned in the notes or QB.

Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message