Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA-FAA bilateral pilot licensing treaty (BASA)

Well the original Aircrew Regulation 1178/2011 said:

1. This Regulation shall enter into force on the 20th day following its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
It shall apply from 8 April 2012.

4. By way of derogation from paragraph 1, Member States may decide not to apply the provisions of this Regulation to pilots holding a licence and associated medical certificate issued by a third country involved in the non-commercial operation of aircraft specified in Article 4(1)(b) or (c) of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 until 8 April 2014.

so in a sense we’re both right.

I feel deeply honoured that I was right concurrently with you

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And even now, lots of N-reg pilots are still flying purely on FAA papers.

And, I predict, will continue to do so after June 2022.
VFR: Legally; IFR: Surreptitiously.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

VFR legally only if they have EASA PPLs and medicals.

Administrator

Well June 2022 certainly leaves some time to reorganise! just to be certain: does this mean we can still use our FAA papers in EASA land or is this deadline just relevant to a specific part of the new regs?

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Flyingfish wrote:

Well June 2022 certainly leaves some time to reorganise! just to be certain: does this mean we can still use our FAA papers in EASA land or is this deadline just relevant to a specific part of the new regs?

It should be noted that the derogation is an option that needs to be exercised by each relevant country and is not automatic. EU law has now created the possibility (it requires a regulation change every time the derogation deadline gets changed) to apply the extension of that derogation to June 2022 but it is always unclear whether a country would do so or not. More and more countries stopped doing so as can be seen here
PDF local copy

And it continues to remain unclear whether that refers to the SOLI (state of licence issuance) of the flight crew licence or the state of the airspace being used.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 20 Nov 18:35
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

In that table above, most of the countries which have done nothing have no significant IFR GA and thus no significant N-reg community. And in Norway and Denmark, long term parking of N-regs is illegal anyway so no wonder they are blank.

Actually I think the 2020 total of those who have derogated is bigger than ever. Previous versions of that table have been posted in years past. This one is from c. 2015

and it was found here.

Administrator

Sorry, the table you are showing is not the right table as it is showing opt-out provisions from Part-SERA and Part-ATCO which is what EU regulations 923/2012 and 2015/340 refer to.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Whoops… well, you can find them in various places in the following thread one example from 2017.

Administrator

VFR legally only if they have EASA PPLs and medicals.

Forgive me for being obtuse.
Does that include any ‘N’ plane flown with a Stand-Alone FAA license irrespective of ‘derogation’?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message