Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA-FAA bilateral pilot licensing treaty (BASA)

BUT it is only 10 hours; This is a major concession: Anyone should be able to do this in 3 or 4 flights

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

This is an extract from an email that I have just received from Jim Thorpe at Rate one…..

FAA IR conversions
For those pilots who put their FAA IR conversion on hold pending the outcome of the bilateral FAA /EASA talks the end is in sight. I spent a couple of days last week at EASA as I have been appointed to the board that will keep the CBM IR under review. While the details are still being kept confidential there were broad hints. Firstly EASA are very aware that the extended deadline of April 2016 is not that far away and they expect to go public in the next two or three months. We can expect a matrix of conversion requirements depending on the experience of the FAA IR holders. It is possible that some written TK test will be involved for the less experienced but for those with plenty of European based flight time an aural plus a revalidation proficiency check rather than an initial skill test looks likely. (Since writing the above the FAA have published an update on the negotiations so this outcome seems almost certain.)

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I do like that it is coming together instead of drifting apart.

Frequent travels around Europe

I know it’s selfish, and I’m in a small minority, but I just wish they would do something on the type rating front, particularly for those aircraft that do not have a type rating in the USA but need one in EASA.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil, I will join you in that minority.

EGTK Oxford

I know it’s selfish, and I’m in a small minority, but I just wish they would do something on the type rating front, particularly for those aircraft that do not have a type rating in the USA but need one in EASA

I am sure you are aware Neil but ICAO type ratings are already directly accepted.

The issue of TRs for aircraft which needs one in EASA-land but not in FAA-land will probably be resolved because there are two significant players – Socata and Pilatus – who are affected negatively by this. I am sure the “EASA complex” category excluding SET but including MET was a straight middle finger-up to the USA, whose King Air rules so much of the market. The Eurocrats will probably have to climb down on this, albeit with some face saving (probably a flight with an IRE ).

You are not a small minority at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes I know about converting type ratings, although that only works if you have >500hrs on type. Less than that and it’s a problem again.

As you surmise it’s the King Air that bothers me most, (and the Meridian that bothers Jason I guess) where there is no FAA type rating to convert! A King Air Initial type rating at Flight Safety will be over $30,000

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I suppose I should be grateful to EASA that the conversion path keeps getting easier for me and that I’m not in danger of losing my hobby, unlike people who fly for their livelihood and are getting totally screwed. But still… I like the old way (fly an N-reg and wash my hands of the European bureaucracy) better. Apart from exasperating the poor DFS controllers on my first European flight, I don’t think I’ve been a big hazard to aviation in the past.

If things progress as Jason and Rob say, then the actual effort required in the end will be equivalent to what one has to do for the EASA license anyway (annual revalidation flight), plus keeping up an extra medical, as long as one can find someone who is CFI+CRE and can do the BFR along with (every second) EASA revalidation. Are there doctors who can do an EASA and FAA medical?

Also, it’s very cool that EuroGA is such a one-stop shop for the information I care about.

Edit: changed CRI to CRE — that’s the one that does IR revalidations, right? Sorry, I haven’t learned this alphabet soup yet.

Last Edited by jmuelmen at 03 Feb 17:10
EDAZ

Are there doctors who can do an EASA and FAA medical?

Yes, for example Peter Orton at Stansted.

Last Edited by 172driver at 03 Feb 18:18

In addition to Dr Orton at Stansted, there’s also Dr Vincent Kielty at the Klyne Aviation Centre at Norwich Airport (link: http://www.examinair-norwich.co.uk/aircrew-medicals/faa-medicals).

Sign in to add your message